Plotting Summation Convergence in Mathematica

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for finding the convergence value of an expression by working out the sum for discrete values and plotting it in Excel. The speaker also asks for help with repeating the process in Mathematica and fitting a polynomial function to the result. They later mention solving the problem on their own and provide a method using a table of pairs and a map function.
natski
Hi everyone,

I have an expression for a summation and want to find out where it converges precisely. I decided to work out the sum for i=10,100,1000 etc. I logged the results, then took the recriprocal and then plotted it as the x-axis in Excel with the y-axis as my result. (So that the y intercept gives the convergence value).

So now I want to repeat this in Mathematica. I tried plotting my summation for different values of i, but it just didn't like that one bit because i is discrete and not continuous. So firstly, how do I do this? I'm thinking ListPlot?

Secondly, I need to be able to fit a polynomial function to the result, which I also have no idea how to do. I have attached the notebook.

I really appreciate any help,
Thanks,
Natski

Attachments

• N Layer Model.nb
    42.9 KB · Views: 282
Physics news on Phys.org
I tried to delete that last post but I couldn't. Anyway, I think I solved it the problem, a lot easier than I thought. I have attached the file again incase anyone wants to point out if my method is flawed.

Attachments

• N Layer Model.nb
    4 KB · Views: 270
You wanted something like this?

Edit: Oh I see you solved it yourself. Notice, in my method I turned of the superfulous error. Your table of pairs works just like my Thread, notice I use a map function to get high powers of x.

Attachments

• quickdemo.nb
    50.7 KB · Views: 305

What is Mathematica Plotting Question?

Mathematica Plotting Question is a type of inquiry related to creating visual representations of data using the Mathematica software. It involves using various plotting functions and options to generate graphs, charts, and other visual aids.

How do I create a basic plot in Mathematica?

To create a basic plot in Mathematica, you can use the Plot function. This function takes in the mathematical expression you want to plot and the range of values for the independent variable. For example, Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2Pi}] will generate a plot of the sine function from 0 to 2π.

Can I customize the appearance of my plots in Mathematica?

Yes, Mathematica offers a wide range of options for customizing the appearance of plots. You can change the colors, styles, labels, and more using various built-in options or by specifying your own settings.

What are some common types of plots used in Mathematica?

Some common types of plots used in Mathematica include line plots, scatter plots, bar charts, histograms, and 3D plots. Each type of plot is useful for visualizing different types of data and relationships.

Is it possible to combine multiple plots in Mathematica?

Yes, you can combine multiple plots in Mathematica using the Show function. This function allows you to display multiple plots together in the same output, which can be useful for comparing different data sets or visualizing multiple functions at once.