Partial Fractions, Irreducible quadratic factors

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of the arc length method to solve a problem involving an integral with a quadratic function in the denominator. The suggested approach is to first divide the function and then use a u-substitution, but one person suggests using partial fractions instead. Another person suggests using a hyperbolic substitution for a quicker solution.
rocomath
Arc Length, Irreducible quadratic factors

i'm having a hard time seeing this method, and i have to use this method on one of the problems I'm doing to find it's Arc Length.

[tex]L=\int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^{2}}}\frac{v^{2}dv}{v^{2}-1}}[/tex]

the book suggests to first divide then use a u-substitution. i know that when the power in the numerator is greater than the denominator, i can perform long-division, but i don't see how i can divide this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i don't know whether i am gettin u well, but you could do this inegral by doing this to the function under the integral sign

v^2/(v^2-) =(v^2-1+1)/(v^2-1) = (1- 1/(v-1)(v+1) )

then you could use partial fraction by letting

1/(v-1)(v+1) = A/(v-1) + B /(v+1), and then finding the values of B and A. Pardone me if i misunderstood u.

Well, like sutupidmath did, add one and then subtract one to the numerator. Then, instead of factoring the new denominator and partial fractions-ing, Try a hyperbolic substitution, I think you will find it quicker.

Related to Partial Fractions, Irreducible quadratic factors

What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method used to decompose a rational function into simpler fractions. This technique is often used in calculus and algebra to simplify complicated expressions.

Why do we use partial fractions?

We use partial fractions to make integration and other mathematical operations easier. By breaking a complex fraction into simpler parts, it becomes easier to manipulate and solve.

What are irreducible quadratic factors?

Irreducible quadratic factors are factors of a polynomial expression that cannot be factored any further. They are quadratic expressions that cannot be broken down into simpler linear factors.

How do we find irreducible quadratic factors?

To find irreducible quadratic factors, we can use the quadratic formula or factorization techniques. We can also use synthetic division to test for potential factors.

How do we use partial fractions with irreducible quadratic factors?

When using partial fractions, we first decompose the rational function into simpler fractions. If there are any irreducible quadratic factors in the denominator, we use a combination of linear and quadratic terms in our partial fraction decomposition.