Partial fraction decomposition

In summary, for the partial fraction decomposition of ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{x^4 + 2x^2 \cosh (2 \alpha) + 1}##, it is not necessary to assume linear terms in the numerator as the denominator only contains factors with squares of x. Therefore, the linear terms in the numerator will have coefficients of 0 for x. This is a special case in partial fraction decomposition.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Find the partial fraction decomposition of ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{x^4 + 2x^2 \cosh (2 \alpha) + 1}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the identity ##\displaystyle \cosh (2 \alpha) = \frac{e^{2 \alpha} + e^{- 2\alpha}}{2}##, we can get the fraction to the form ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{(x^2 + e^{2 \alpha})(x^2 + e^{- 2 \alpha})}##. Since we have two irreducible quadratic factors, it would seem that we would now try to find A, B C, and D such that ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{(x^2 + e^{2 \alpha})(x^2 + e^{- 2 \alpha})} = \frac{Ax + B}{x^2 + e^{2 \alpha}} + \frac{Cx + D}{x^2 + e^{-2 \alpha}} ##. But in the solutions to my book, it just directly says to find A and B such that ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{(x^2 + e^{2 \alpha})(x^2 + e^{- 2 \alpha})} = \frac{A}{x^2 + e^{2 \alpha}} + \frac{B}{x^2 + e^{-2 \alpha}} ##. Why am I wrong in assuming that the numerators must be linear factors?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Find the partial fraction decomposition of ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{x^4 + 2x^2 \cosh (2 \alpha) + 1}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the identity ##\displaystyle \cosh (2 \alpha) = \frac{e^{2 \alpha} + e^{- 2\alpha}}{2}##, we can get the fraction to the form ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{(x^2 + e^{2 \alpha})(x^2 + e^{- 2 \alpha})}##. Since we have two irreducible quadratic factors, it would seem that we would now try to find A, B C, and D such that ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{(x^2 + e^{2 \alpha})(x^2 + e^{- 2 \alpha})} = \frac{Ax + B}{x^2 + e^{2 \alpha}} + \frac{Cx + D}{x^2 + e^{-2 \alpha}} ##. But in the solutions to my book, it just directly says to find A and B such that ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{(x^2 + e^{2 \alpha})(x^2 + e^{- 2 \alpha})} = \frac{A}{x^2 + e^{2 \alpha}} + \frac{B}{x^2 + e^{-2 \alpha}} ##. Why am I wrong in assuming that the numerators must be linear factors?

It is not wrong but not necessary to assume linear terms. You can take y=x2 the variable, then you have the fraction as ##\frac{1}{(y + e^{2 \alpha})(y + e^{- 2 \alpha})}##

ehild said:
It is not wrong but not necessary to assume linear terms. You can take y=x2 the variable, then you have the fraction as ##\frac{1}{(y + e^{2 \alpha})(y + e^{- 2 \alpha})}##
Why isn't it necessary to assume linear terms? For example, if we were to do the PFD of ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{x(x^2 + 1)}##, we have to assume that ##x^2 + 1## has a linear term in the numerator. Why would these two cases be different?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Why isn't it necessary to assume linear terms? For example, if we were to do the PFD of ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{x(x^2 + 1)}##, we have to assume that ##x^2 + 1## has a linear term in the numerator. Why would these two cases be different?
The fraction has only powers of x2.But try to do as you started, having linear and constant terms in the numerator and see what you get.

ehild said:
The fraction has only powers of x2.But try to do as you started, having linear and constant terms in the numerator and see what you get.
I get the same answer as I would if I had just constants. In other words, the coefficients of x in each numerator are just 0... What's the general theory behind this? I always thought that quadratic terms had to have linear factors in the numerator, at least that's what it says in articles on partial fraction decomposition. Are they wrong?

Last edited:
Mr Davis 97 said:
I get the same answer as I would if I had just constants. In other words, the coefficients of x in each numerator are just 0... What's the general theory behind this? I always thought that quadratic terms had to have linear factors in the numerator, at least that's what it says in articles on partial fraction decomposition. Are they wrong?
No, they have to have linear factors, but the coefficients can be zero.
As I wrote in Post#2, the fraction does not have linear terms in x. You can take y=x2 the variable, then you have the fraction as ##\frac{1}{(y+e^{2α})(y+e^{-2α})} ##, and it has only constant term in the numerator of the partial fractions.

ehild said:
No, they have to have linear factors, but the coefficients can be zero.
As I wrote in Post#2, the fraction does not have linear terms in x. You can take y=x2 the variable, then you have the fraction as ##\frac{1}{(y+e^{2α})(y+e^{-2α})} ##, and it has only constant term in the numerator of the partial fractions.
So are you saying that since the denominator just has factors with squares of x, it's a special case in which the linear terms in the numerator will have coefficients of 0 for x?

Mr Davis 97 said:
So are you saying that since the denominator just has factors with squares of x, it's a special case in which the linear terms in the numerator will have coefficients of 0 for x?
Yes.

What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a mathematical process used to break down a rational expression into simpler fractions. It involves finding the sum of two or more fractions that have a common denominator.

When is partial fraction decomposition used?

Partial fraction decomposition is used when simplifying rational expressions, integrating rational functions, or solving differential equations. It is also commonly used in engineering and physics applications.

What are the steps involved in partial fraction decomposition?

The steps involved in partial fraction decomposition include factoring the denominator of the rational expression, setting up and solving a system of equations for the unknown coefficients, and then combining the fractions with the same denominator.

What are the different types of partial fraction decomposition?

The two main types of partial fraction decomposition are proper and improper. Proper partial fraction decomposition involves breaking down a rational expression into proper fractions, while improper partial fraction decomposition involves breaking down a rational expression into a mixture of proper fractions and a polynomial.

What are the limitations of partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition can only be used for rational expressions, and not all rational expressions can be decomposed. Additionally, the process can become more complicated when the denominator has repeated factors or complex roots.