Correlation functions of spin-2 fields

In summary, correlation functions describe how strongly different quantities are correlated to each other.
straybird
What are the general properties of 3-point correlation function of a spin-2 field?
And what about 4-point, 5-point correlation functions?
spin-3, spin-4 fields?

What mathematical category do these problems belong to? Are there any specific studies on them? (They are so widely used in science...)

Physics news on Phys.org
Never heard of correlation functions but wikipedia suggests that they are connected to stochastic processes. It might help if you explain what you mean by all this in terms of stochastic processes. Is two spin field a 3 dimensional process?

A correlation function just describes how strongly are the probabilities of different quantities correlated to each other. It doesn't have to concern stochastic processes. I'm also not familiar with stochastic processes so I'm sorry I don't understand your question in the end...

I'm guessing quantities refer to distributions? Then isn't a correlation function just the covariance? Stochastic processes are processes that at some time t have a distribution and this distribution varies with regards to time. For example [tex] X_t [/tex] are distributed [tex] N(0,t) [/tex] which is Brownian motion with some more assumptions. Never heard of spin fields or anything like that sorry, but it sounds quite interesting. You might have more luck at the physics forum parts.

yes, thanks. I thought this question is a pure mathematical one. But when I searched about it, all literature I found is written by natural scientists and engineers. It made me feel strange. I thought this question is general enough to interest a mathematician. I just wonder if there's a lot of work done by mathematicians on the related field, or mathematicians are all thinking about bigger questions than this?

Generally mathematicians seem to tackle more general questions. Usually proving something exists without giving any indication to how it can be worked out. For example, Levy processes are infinitely divisible, but it is almost impossible to find what the divisors are. There might be some work done in it by statisticians but I really would not know. They seem to do weird stuff.
Anyways, good luck with your search :)

1. What is a correlation function of spin-2 fields?

A correlation function of spin-2 fields is a mathematical quantity that describes the relationship between two spin-2 fields in a physical system. It measures the probability of finding two spin-2 fields at a certain distance away from each other and is used to study the properties of a system, such as symmetry and interactions.

2. How is a correlation function of spin-2 fields calculated?

A correlation function of spin-2 fields is calculated by taking the product of the two fields at different points in space and then taking the average of this product over all possible configurations of the fields. This average is then divided by the product of the individual field values at each point. The result is a function that depends on the distance between the two points and can be used to analyze the behavior of the system.

3. What is the significance of studying correlation functions of spin-2 fields?

Studying correlation functions of spin-2 fields is important because it allows scientists to understand the behavior of complex systems and make predictions about their properties. Correlation functions can reveal information about the interactions between particles and can be used to test theories and models in physics.

4. How do spin-2 fields differ from other types of fields?

Spin-2 fields are a type of field in quantum field theory that have a spin value of 2. This means that they have two units of angular momentum and behave differently from other fields with different spin values. Spin-2 fields are also associated with particles that have integer spin, such as gravitons.

5. Can correlation functions of spin-2 fields be applied to other fields of science?

Yes, correlation functions of spin-2 fields can be applied to other fields of science, such as condensed matter physics, quantum computing, and cosmology. They provide a powerful tool for studying the behavior of complex systems and can be used to make predictions and test theories in various fields.