Vacuum Energy from Correlation Functions

masteralien
TL;DR Summary
In QFT the n point functions contain all the information about a QFT so how would one compute the vacuum energy just from the n point functions
In QFT the objects of interest are the n point Correlation functions which contain all the information about the theory and can be used to compute any expectation value in principle. However I cant figure out how to compute the vacuum energy from the correlation functions alone and cant find any sources or articles which discuss this computation.

Is there a way to do it with the n point functions only. I know how to compute the Vacuum Energy in QFT with the field operators but want to know how to compute it with the n point functions alone without the field operators.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Hamiltonian density is something like
$${\cal H}=\frac{1}{2}\dot{\phi}(x) \dot{\phi}(x)+\ldots$$
Hence the vacuum energy density with the operators is
$$\frac{1}{2}\langle 0|\dot{\phi}(x) \dot{\phi}(x) |0\rangle +\ldots$$
But ##\langle 0|\dot{\phi}(x) \dot{\phi}(x) |0\rangle## is just the 2-point function
$$\langle \dot{\phi}(x) \dot{\phi}(x)\rangle = \lim_{x'\to x} \partial_0\partial'_0\langle \phi(x) \phi(x')\rangle$$
which tells you how, in principle, to compute the vacuum energy density in terms of ##n##-point functions.

I see also is it true in principle any expectation value can be computed with the n point functions

I would say any expectation value in the vacuum can be computed with the n-point functions.

Demystifier said:
I would say any expectation value in the vacuum can be computed with the n-point functions.
What about expectation values for states which aren’t the vacuum like particle states can all those be computed with the n point functions

Also one more question can the Propagator G_2(x1-x2) be thought of as the Probability amplitude for a Particle to be found at spacetime point x1 created by a delta function source at spacetime point x2

masteralien said:
Also one more question can the Propagator G_2(x1-x2) be thought of as the Probability amplitude for a Particle to be found at spacetime point x1 created by a delta function source at spacetime point x2
Yes, at least in nonrelativistic QM.