Question with slope, masses, pulley

In summary, the problem involves finding the acceleration of a system of masses on a slope with no friction between mass c and the slope, and a pulley and rope with no mass. The coefficient of friction between the two masses on the slope is \mu_1. After considering the concept of relative motion, it is determined that the acceleration of b, c, and d (masses on the rope) will be the same. The net force acting on the system would be the weight of mass d, and if there was friction between the mass and the slope, it would be the difference between the weight and the friction force. It is important to consider both masses b and c as one object when calculating the net force.
mystmyst
[PLAIN]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/4452/mechanicsdiagram2.png

Homework Statement

There is no friction between mass c and the slope. The pulley and rope have no mass. The coefficient of friction between the two masses on the slope is [tex]\mu_1[/tex]

Get an expression for the acceleration of the system of masses when there is no relative motion between the two masses on the slope.

The Attempt at a Solution

There is something I don't get: If there is not relative motion between the two masses on the slope, then each mass has a different acceleration. The question makes it seem that I should still find a total acceleration of the entire system but I don't think that is possible.

Also, even though b and c have different accelerations, c and d still have the same acceleration, correct?

So, the way I would do it is find the acceleration for b, and find the acceleration for c and d. Is that correct or is there really one unifying acceleration?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are very confused here.

Firstly, b and c, if there is no relative motion between them, they must have the same velocity and acceleration.

Now, they can have the same acceleration but different force acting on them.
F = ma, they have different masses, hence they have different magnitude of force acting on them. This is because you need more force to accelerate something that is heavier (to be precise, more inertia).

Also, the acceleration of d is the same as acceleration of b and c. d cannot accelerate more than b and c since the rope cannot stretch, or break for all that matter.
Acceleration of d cannot be less that b and c, if not the string will not be taut.

delzac

Delzac said:
I think you are very confused here.

Firstly, b and c, if there is no relative motion between them, they must have the same velocity and acceleration.

ooo. I thought relative motion means they are moving together at the same velocity and acceleration. So if there is no relative motion they are moving at different velocities and different accelerations.

Thanks for clearing that up.

so basically the only force acting on the system is the weight from mass d. so:

[tex]m_dg = (b+c+d)a[/tex]

correct?

and if there was friction between the mass and the slope it would be:

[tex]m_dg - f_k = (b+c+d)a[/tex]

You have to take into account that the the force is not one sided, meaing, b and c also provides a force in the opposite direction.

The difference in the 2 forces will determine if the mass will move in either direction.

o you i forgot about the [tex]mg\cos \alpha[/tex] and [tex]mg\sin \alpha[/tex] stuff...
thanks

When I am calculating the net force, do I also include the force from the small mass (with mass b):

[tex]bg\sin \alpha[/tex]

or I don't since the friction cancels it out?

as in either:

[tex]dg - cg\sin \alpha = (b+c+d)a[/tex]

or

[tex]dg - cg\sin \alpha - bg\sin \alpha= (b+c+d)a[/tex]

Well, you will have to take into account both mass, since both b and c is tugging on the rope. You can imagine that there are glued together, so their mass will have to add up.

Delzac said:
Well, you will have to take into account both mass, since both b and c is tugging on the rope. You can imagine that there are glued together, so their mass will have to add up.

I know I take their mass into account. that's why i have (b+c+d)a

but my question is referring to the net force. Do I take into account the force from the smaller mass or since the friction cancels it out (which is why it is not moving) I only take into account the large mass.

Like i said, b and c is as good as glued together, meaning you should treat them as one object.

gotcha!

Thanks.

1. What is a slope and how does it relate to this experiment?

A slope is the measure of the steepness of a line on a graph. In this experiment, the slope refers to the angle of the incline that the masses will be pulled on.

2. What are the masses used in this experiment and why are they important?

The masses used in this experiment refer to the weights that will be pulled by the pulley system. They are important because they help determine the amount of force needed to move the masses and how this force is distributed.

3. How does the pulley system work in this experiment?

The pulley system allows for the masses to be moved by pulling on a rope or cable that passes through a series of pulleys. This system helps distribute the force evenly and makes it easier to move the masses.

4. What factors affect the results of this experiment?

The results of this experiment can be affected by the angle of the slope, the masses used, the friction between the masses and the surface, and the accuracy of the measurements taken.

5. What is the significance of this experiment in the field of science?

This experiment helps demonstrate the principles of force, motion, and gravity. It also allows for the calculation of the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, which is a fundamental concept in physics and engineering.