Newton's Second Law (Pulley Sustem)

armn91
Homework Statement
I am trying to find the solution to the following problem. Could you please let me know if what I have done is correct? Thank you.
Relevant Equations
Newton's Second Law
Two masses, M1=4.0 Kg, and M2=20 Kg, are attached by a rope that crosses over a massless, frictionless pulley. M1 slides horizontally and experiences a kinetic frictional force due to its motion across the surface. The coefficient of kinetic friction is uk = 0.638. When solving the problem, start drawing a FBD for each mass and writing appropriate N1L and N2L equations for each mass. Solve the system of equations for find the acceleration of the masses and the tension of the rope (see figure in document attached).

Attachments

• IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 51
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks correct to me. For future reference: After you upload a figure click "Insert" + Full image. Full images are easier to read than thumbnails. Also, for "work shown" we prefer equations in LaTeX to photos of handwritten notes. Click "LaTeX Guide", lower left, to learn how to do it.

Likes berkeman and MatinSAR
Ok, thank you very much for your help!

Likes berkeman
Welcome to PF.

I will send you some tips for posting equations using LaTeX. :smile:

What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

How does Newton's Second Law apply to a pulley system?

In a pulley system, the force applied to one end of the rope is transmitted to the other end, causing the object attached to the other end to accelerate. The acceleration of the object is determined by the net force acting on it, which is equal to the difference between the force applied and the force of gravity pulling the object down.

What is the equation for Newton's Second Law?

The equation for Newton's Second Law is F = ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

How does the number of pulleys affect the force required to lift an object?

The number of pulleys in a system affects the force required to lift an object by reducing the amount of force needed. Each additional pulley reduces the required force by half, making it easier to lift the object.

Can Newton's Second Law be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, Newton's Second Law can be applied to a wide range of real-life situations, such as lifting heavy objects with a pulley system, calculating the force needed to accelerate a car, or determining the force required to throw a ball a certain distance.