Introductory Solution Stoichiometry: Acids/Bases

In summary, to determine how many grams of solid calcium hydroxide are needed to react with 14.2 mL of a 1.62 M nitric acid solution, first calculate the number of moles of nitric acid present. Then, use stoichiometry to find the corresponding amount of calcium hydroxide needed.
jacksonpeeble
Gold Member

Homework Statement

How many grams of solid calcium hydroxide are needed to react with 14.2 mL of a 1.62 M nitric acid solution? Assume that the volume remains constant when the calcium hydroxide is added.

Ca(OH)2 + 2 HNO3 Ca(NO3)2 + 2 H2O

Homework Equations

Molarity=moles of solute/liters of solution

The Attempt at a Solution

I first balanced the equation (above). I know that I will need to set up the equation above with what information I have, and that I am looking for an answer in grams. However, I really don't know how to get started. Can someone give me the general outline/procedure for what to do with a problem like this (not necessarily this problem, although it probably can be verified that it is from OWL, so, as I'm sure many of you know, I can't go in and get this same problem anyhow.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start calculating number of moles of nitric acid. Once you have moles it is an easy stoichiometry.

1. What is solution stoichiometry?

Solution stoichiometry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction in a solution. It involves using the principles of stoichiometry to calculate the amounts of reactants and products in a given reaction.

2. How does solution stoichiometry apply to acids and bases?

In solution stoichiometry, we use the concept of molarity (the concentration of a solution) to calculate the amount of reactants and products in a chemical reaction. For acids and bases, we use the neutralization reaction between an acid and a base to determine the amount of each present in the solution.

3. What is the difference between strong and weak acids/bases?

Strong acids and bases are substances that completely dissociate in water, meaning they break apart into ions. This results in a higher concentration of hydrogen ions for acids and hydroxide ions for bases. Weak acids and bases, on the other hand, only partially dissociate in water, resulting in a lower concentration of ions.

4. How do you calculate the concentration of an acid or base in a solution?

To calculate the concentration of an acid or base in a solution, we use the equation M1V1 = M2V2, where M1 is the initial molarity, V1 is the initial volume, M2 is the final molarity, and V2 is the final volume. This equation is known as the dilution equation and can be used to find the unknown concentration or volume.

5. What are some common applications of solution stoichiometry in the real world?

Solution stoichiometry is used in many industries, including pharmaceuticals, food and beverage production, and water treatment. It is also used in everyday life, such as in cooking and cleaning products, where the correct amount of reactants must be used to achieve the desired result. Additionally, solution stoichiometry is important in environmental science, as it helps determine the amount of pollutants in a given sample.