Ensuring Safe Hiking: The Importance of Ripe Berry and Grizzly Bear-Free Trails

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
In summary, the compound proposition states that hiking on the trail is safe only if berries are not ripe and grizzly bears have not been seen in the area. This can be represented as (q→(¬r∧¬p))∧¬((¬r∧¬p)→q).
Bashyboy
The compound proposition is, "For hiking on the trail to be safe, it is necessary but not
sufficient that berries not be ripe along the trail and for grizzly bears not to have been seen in the area."

where:
p:Grizzly bears have been seen in the area.
q:Hiking is safe on the trail.
r:Berries are ripe along the trail.

I wrote my answer as [itex](\neg r \wedge \neg p)\rightarrow q[/itex]

But the answer is (q→(¬r∧¬p))∧¬((¬r∧¬p)→q)

I honestly don't see this as being the answer. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump.

Bashyboy said:
I wrote my answer as [itex](\neg r \wedge \neg p)\rightarrow q[/itex]
I read that as saying it is a sufficient condition: If no ripe berries and no bears seen then it is safe. For the necessity part, try rewording the given expression in the form "if ... then it is unsafe".

1. What are compound propositions?

Compound propositions are statements that are formed by combining two or more simpler statements using logical connectives such as "and", "or", and "not". They are used to express more complex ideas and are a fundamental concept in logic and mathematics.

2. What is the difference between a compound proposition and a simple proposition?

A simple proposition is a statement that is either true or false, while a compound proposition combines multiple simple propositions to form a more complex statement. Simple propositions can also be thought of as the building blocks of compound propositions.

3. How do you evaluate the truth value of a compound proposition?

The truth value of a compound proposition is determined by the truth values of its component propositions and the logical connective used. For example, a compound proposition using "and" is true only if both component propositions are true, while a compound proposition using "or" is true if at least one of the component propositions is true.

4. What are the different types of compound propositions?

The most common types of compound propositions are conjunctions (using "and"), disjunctions (using "or"), and negations (using "not"). There are also more complex types such as implications (using "if...then") and bi-conditional statements (using "if and only if").

5. How are compound propositions used in science?

Compound propositions are used in science to express more complex ideas and relationships between variables. They are particularly useful in the fields of mathematics, logic, and computer science, where precise and logical thinking is essential for problem-solving and experimentation.