Electric force between two charges on z-axis

In summary, the question asks for the force on the charge +q located on the z-axis, with a distance of '3d' from a charge -2q also on the z-axis. The x-y plane is a grounded conductor. The Coulomb's equation is applied to find the force, taking into consideration the distance between the charges. The effect of the grounded x-y plane on the force is questioned, and it is suggested that there may be an image problem. The electric field produced by a conducting sheet in the presence of point charges is discussed.
Reshma
Question:
Two charges -2q and +q are located on the z-axis at distance 'd' and '3d' respectively. The x-y plane is a grounded conductor. Find the force on the charge +q.
My work:
Let the force be F. Distance between the charges is '2d'.
[tex]F = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_{0}}\left(\frac{(-2q)(q)}{{(2d)}^2}\right)[/tex]
Can I apply the Coulomb's equation here the way I have done? Will the grounded x-y plane have any effect on the force?

Physics news on Phys.org
A better question is: does the charge below the grounded conductor have any effect on the force?

Galileo said:
A better question is: does the charge below the grounded conductor have any effect on the force?
Umm...the charges mentioned here are above the grounded plane. The grounded plane has a zero potential. Are you talking about image charges?

Can someone help me proceed?

You know the grounded conductor will "draw up charge from infinity" so that it can maintain a constant potential over its surface. This charge will exert a force, right? How can you describe the field produced by a conducting sheet in the presence of point charges?

Physics Monkey said:
You know the grounded conductor will "draw up charge from infinity" so that it can maintain a constant potential over its surface. This charge will exert a force, right? How can you describe the field produced by a conducting sheet in the presence of point charges?

Took me a while to read up on the theory. I am convinced this is an image problem. Well, the electric field is normal to the surface of the conducting sheet, right?
[tex]\vec E = \frac{\partial V}{\partial z}\hat z[/tex]
But what about the force?

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric force between two charges on the z-axis?

The formula for calculating the electric force between two charges on the z-axis is F = (k * Q * q) / (z^2), where k is the Coulomb constant, Q and q are the magnitudes of the two charges, and z is the distance between the charges.

2. How does the distance between the two charges affect the electric force on the z-axis?

The electric force between two charges on the z-axis is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

3. What is the direction of the electric force between two charges on the z-axis?

The direction of the electric force between two charges on the z-axis depends on the signs of the charges. If the two charges have the same sign (both positive or both negative), the force will be repulsive and directed away from both charges. If the two charges have opposite signs (one positive and one negative), the force will be attractive and directed towards the charges.

4. What is the unit of measurement for electric force on the z-axis?

The unit of measurement for electric force is Newtons (N) in the International System of Units (SI).

5. Can the electric force between two charges on the z-axis be zero?

Yes, the electric force between two charges on the z-axis can be zero if one or both of the charges have a magnitude of zero, or if the distance between the charges is infinite. Additionally, if the two charges have equal magnitudes but opposite signs, the net force will be zero as the forces cancel each other out.