Is an emission spectrum really independent of excitation wavelength?

by dentedduck
Tags: emission, energy, fluorescence, stoke's shift
dentedduck
Sep6-13, 08:13 PM
P: 12
I've often read that the emission spectrum of a fluorescent molecule is independent of the wavelength used for the excitation. But what happens in the case of a small Stoke's shift where the excitation and emission wavelengths overlap?

If I use a narrow band excitation with a wavelength in the overlap region then the energy of the excitation light would be lower than the highest energy photons in the emission. Wouldn't that break conservation of energy? I would expect the bandwidth of the emission to be limited in that case.

Dave
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
First view of nature-inspired catalyst after ripping hydrogen apart provides insights for better, cheaper fuel cells
Following a protein's travel inside cells is key to improving patient monitoring, drug development
Team helps cancer treatment drugs get past their sticking point
Ygggdrasil
Sep7-13, 12:58 PM
Other Sci
Sci Advisor
P: 1,342
Even though the emitted photons have more energy than the absorbed photons, this does not break the conservation of energy. Rather, what actually occurs is a phenomenon called "fluorescent cooling." In essence, the laser picks off the highest energy particles from the ground state population, and relaxation from the excited state puts them (on average) into a lower energy level of the ground state.

See, for example, Epstein et al. 1995 Observation of laser-induced fluorescent cooling of a solid. Nature: 377 500. doi:10.1038/377500a0
(free version: http://usna.edu/Users/physics/mungan...Pub-Nature.php)

Register to reply