Does Le chatlier's law apply if reactants are liquids and a product is solid?

In summary, the conversation discusses the reaction of sodium thiosulfate and hydrochloric acid, and the effects of changing concentrations on the equilibrium using Chatlier's law. It is noted that the reaction is reversible, but the process of producing thiosulfates using the reverse reaction is done in alkaline solutions. The conversation also briefly touches on the idea of using an ultrasonic bath to mobilize the surface reaction, but notes that this may not be possible for a 12th grader without access to such equipment.
kenshi64
Hi So the reaction is below:
Sodium thiosulfate + HCl = Sulfur + NaCl+ Water+ SO2

So if I wanted to say 'Increasing the conc. of Sodium thiosulfate has shifted the equilibrium to the left (reactants) and thus the system works to break down excess reactants and create more product by Chatlier's law' Would this be factually right?

I'm wondering because the example equation on Wikipedia consists of all gases. Thanks in advance! Cheers! :D

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Amount of solid doesn't matter (that is, putting more solid into the system will no shift the equilibrium), but changing concentrations has similar effect to changing pressure.

Borek said:
Amount of solid doesn't matter (that is, putting more solid into the system will no shift the equilibrium), but changing concentrations has similar effect to changing pressure.

Sorry, before I go ahead, Is the reaction reversible? I seem to have made a stupid assumption that I can talk about the equilibrium shifting to remove excess reactants when it mayn't be a reversible reaction. How do I know if it is one? THanks Borek

To some extent every reaction is reversible. In this particular case reverse reaction is what is used to produce thiosulfates (although it is done in alkaline solutions).

Oh god, alas, another experiment down the drain.. Thank you!

Uh, with the sulphur precipitating out as a colloid, the reaction is some-what reversible. Starting with lumps of sulphur is a different matter. You'd probably need an ultrasonic bath to mobilise the surface reaction...

Nik_2213 said:
Uh, with the sulphur precipitating out as a colloid, the reaction is some-what reversible. Starting with lumps of sulphur is a different matter. You'd probably need an ultrasonic bath to mobilise the surface reaction...

I appreciate that!, But unfortunately I'm just a 12th grader and I don't have that kind of stuff.

1. What is Le Chatlier's law?

Le Chatlier's law states that a system at equilibrium will respond to any changes in conditions by shifting its equilibrium position in a direction that minimizes the effect of the change.

2. How does Le Chatlier's law apply to a reaction with reactants that are liquids and a product that is a solid?

Le Chatlier's law applies to all types of reactions, including those with reactants that are liquids and a product that is a solid. The law states that a change in concentration, pressure, or temperature will affect the equilibrium of the reaction, regardless of the physical state of the reactants or products.

3. Can Le Chatlier's law be used to predict the direction of a reaction with reactants that are liquids and a product that is a solid?

Yes, Le Chatlier's law can be used to predict the direction of a reaction with reactants that are liquids and a product that is a solid. The law states that a change in concentration, pressure, or temperature will cause the equilibrium to shift in a direction that minimizes the effect of the change.

4. How does the concentration of reactants and products affect the equilibrium of a reaction with liquids and solid?

The concentration of reactants and products can affect the equilibrium of a reaction with liquids and a solid. An increase in the concentration of reactants will cause the equilibrium to shift towards the products, while an increase in the concentration of products will cause the equilibrium to shift towards the reactants. This is in accordance with Le Chatlier's law.

5. Are there any exceptions to Le Chatlier's law when applied to reactions with liquids and solid products?

No, there are no exceptions to Le Chatlier's law when applied to reactions with liquids and solid products. The law applies to all reactions, regardless of the physical state of the reactants and products. However, the extent of the shift in equilibrium may vary depending on the specific conditions of the reaction.