Solve Equilibrium 3D Problem: Find Reaction at O and Cable Tensions

In summary, my teacher solved the problem for us, but I had a few problems following his steps. I looked at the graph and found the (x,y,z) of point c and (x,y,z) of point a. Then I subtracted c-a to get the (x,y,z) of point b. Finally, I found the force by multiplying the mass by 9.81.
sourlemon

Homework Statement

Find the reaction in the socket and joint at O and the tension in each cable.
http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/7585/hwstaticod1.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum{F_{x}}[/tex] = 0
[tex]\sum{F_{y}}[/tex] = 0
[tex]\sum{M}[/tex] = 0
r x F = M

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher actually solved the problem for us. But I when I go back and tried to follow what he did, I came across a few problem. So I'll just start with question 1 first, hopefully I'll be able to solve the rest.

First, my teacher list out all the unit vector.

Tac= [tex]\frac{-1}{\sqrt{6}}[/tex]i + [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}[/tex]j - [tex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{6}}[/tex]k

My question is, how can I look at the graph and get i, j, k? I understand where the [tex]\sqrt{6}[/tex] comes from, but not the number on top.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
that picture is so small i can't see it..

heheh sorry. I forgot to check preview the post before posting. It's fix :D

hmm k well its pres easy just look at the dimensions given. From the picture look at the AXIS first, i repersents x , j represents the y axis, and k represents z.

SO TAC is going in the negative x and z direction while since its going UP not down its positive y. Now look at the dimensions. At the moment since ur having problems visualizing i think rather then just looking at picking the i j and k components DIRECTLY you should find the (x,y,z) of point c and (x,y,z) of point a.

so tehrefore

point c (-1m,+1m,0m)
point a (0m,0m,+2m)

now u want Tac so subtract c-a = (-1,1,-2) BUt to find a unit vector the form is

Tac = T*lambda(ac) = T*vector ac/magnitudeac

vector ac u know (-1,1,-2)
magnitude of ac is just the root of the sum of the squares root((-1)^2+(1)^2+(-2)^2) = root6

Tac = T*(-1,1,-2)
...----------
...root6

Thank you salman! This way seems much easier. Hehe I got point a, but I still don't see how you got c. From the origin, it seems to me, z = 1, and x = 0.

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/6337/hwstaticaj3.jpg

ahh i see umm the problem is ur viewing it wrong i think

that 1 m u circled in red is ALONG THE X axis NOT the z axis. Basically its not from the Y axis OUT OF THE PAGE its HORIZONTALLY along the X axis.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/3694/14739152uh7.jpg

Thank you. I see it now. But I have another question. The next unit vector is T(be) = 0i + 0j - 1k.

But from the picture, I see

E = 1.5i + 0j + 0k
B = 1.5i + 0j + 2k

T(be) = 0i + 0j - 2k

sourlemon said:
Thank you. I see it now. But I have another question. The next unit vector is T(be) = 0i + 0j - 1k.

But from the picture, I see

E = 1.5i + 0j + 0k
B = 1.5i + 0j + 2k

T(be) = 0i + 0j - 2k

You list the vector, not the unit vector. Don't forget to divide by the magnitude. Or you can think of it this way...the magnitude of a unit vector is 1. Since you have only one component, it's value must be = 1.

Oohhhh, I forgot about that. Thank you FredGarvin :D

Heheh I have a new question, again with unit vector.

I have the weight as [tex]\frac{.75}{2.14}[/tex]i + 0j + [tex]\frac{2}{2.14}[/tex]k, but my teacher has it as 0i -1j + 0k.

[tex]\sqrt{.75^{2} + 2^{2}}[/tex] = 2.14

Last edited:
when ur looking at the mass what points did u subtract?
the weight acts DIRECTLY downwards therefore it only has a Y COMPONENT.

When dealing with weights just multiply the mass by 9.81
400 kg in this case by 9.81 to get force (f=mg)

that force in NEWTONS will basically be the y component..

(0i - (400*9.81)j + 0K)

it is negative since the weight is acting DOWNWARDS...

I didn't subtract it from anything. I got the points from the origin.

I worked out the problem, it matches with my teacher now :D Thank you.

Thank you very very much for answering all my questions. You make static seems like a learnable subject ;) I'll be sure to come back for more question. :D

1. What is an equilibrium 3D problem?

An equilibrium 3D problem refers to a situation where multiple forces are acting on a three-dimensional object or system, and the object is in a state of balance or rest. In other words, the forces are equal and opposite, resulting in no net force and no motion.

2. Why is it important to find the reaction at O and cable tensions in an equilibrium 3D problem?

Finding the reaction at O and cable tensions is important because it allows us to determine the stability and safety of the object or system. These values help us understand how the forces are distributed and how the object is being supported, which is crucial in engineering and design.

3. How do you solve an equilibrium 3D problem?

To solve an equilibrium 3D problem, we use the principles of statics and apply them to the forces acting on the object. This involves setting up and solving equations for the unknown reaction forces and cable tensions using methods such as the method of joints or the method of sections.

4. What are some common techniques used to find the reaction at O and cable tensions?

Some common techniques used to find the reaction at O and cable tensions include the method of joints, the method of sections, and the method of virtual work. These methods involve breaking down the forces into their components and using equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown values.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the solution for an equilibrium 3D problem?

The accuracy of the solution for an equilibrium 3D problem can be affected by various factors, such as the assumptions made in the analysis, the accuracy of measurements, and the presence of external factors like friction or dynamic forces. It is important to consider these factors and make appropriate adjustments in order to obtain a more accurate solution.