Chemistry: Noble metals, big need of fast help

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with a lab report and asking for clarification on questions related to writing equations, the reducing ability of precious metals, and the practical use of knowing the reactivity series of metals and hydrogen. The conversation ends with the person thanking others for their help and asking for clarification on the use of Zn in the reaction.
Saturnfirefly
Hi!
I'm writing a lab report and have some questions that I can't find the answer of... I really hope that someone can help me.

Homework Statement

1. First of... I'm having a small problem with writing an equation for Zn reacting with a HCl solution (only H+ should be in the equation).

2. In genereal, would you say that the so-called precious metals (noble) have high or low recuding ability? Explain your answer

3. What practical use is there in knowing the reactivity series of the metals and of hydrogen?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Zn (s) + 2H+ (aq) -> Zn (s) + H'2 (gas) hmm?
2. Haven't found anything...
3. To know what metals that oxidies?... or?... someone that can develope my answer if it's right?

Please, I'm desperate right now... I have to go to sleep soon and need this to be done... many thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you mean:
Zn + 2HCl -> ZnCl2 + H2 (g)

or if you prefer as a redox
Zn + 2H+ -> Zn2+ + H2 (g)

thank you, anyone that can clarify the rest?
and should Zn be aq in the reaction?

What are noble metals?

Noble metals are a group of metals that are resistant to corrosion and oxidation in most environments. They include gold, silver, platinum, and others.

Why are noble metals important in chemistry?

Noble metals are important in chemistry because they have unique properties that make them useful in a variety of applications. They are often used as catalysts, in electronic and medical devices, and in jewelry.

What is the big need for fast help with noble metals?

The demand for noble metals is high due to their scarcity and usefulness in various industries. This can lead to a need for quick solutions and assistance in obtaining and working with these metals.

What are some properties of noble metals?

Noble metals have low reactivity, high melting and boiling points, and are good conductors of electricity. They also have a lustrous appearance and are often resistant to tarnishing.

What are some common uses of noble metals?

Noble metals have numerous uses, including in jewelry, electronics, catalysis, and as investments. They are also used in medical devices and as coatings for other metals to prevent corrosion.