'Cal Poly vs Cal State LB 'for robotics

In summary, Cal Poly SLO offers a good robotics program, but the best one for you will depend on your interests and goals.
younginprogres
Hello i am a 19 year old undergraduate college student that is interested in the field of robotics but I’m not sure in what direction to go in. I am planning to transfer to either CalPoly or Cal State LB after community college depending on the program that offers the best courses. Computer science and Engineering are the only courses my community college offers that to my understanding are related to robotics. I am planning to double major, would these two programs help me go in the right path to robotics or am I missing something? Having more opportunities for employment or high income is not as important to me, what's important to me is enjoying what i do because it is my interest and learning everything i need to know about robots for example; Artificial Intelligence, designing, building, programming, controlling, repairing, etc. I am planning to take electives like mathematics and physics, i read through plenty of forums that recommend different options but which one would be the right combination of two majors or just one major that provides all robotics technology.

mechatronics or robotic engineering?
computer science/electronic engineering,
computer science/mechanical engineering,
computer science/robotic engineering,
computer science/computer engineering
robotic engineering/computer engineering,
robotic engineering/mechatronics
mechatronics/computer science
mechatronics/computer engineering
computer engineering/electronic engineering

Anyone with robotics experience feel free to leave your opinions. Has anyone attended these universities?
Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cal Poly SLO or Ponoma?

I think for most robotics people do a combination of Mechanical/Eectrical engineering depending on what part of the robot you hope to work on. Of course these are more generalized majors and make you more marketable for jobs outside of robotics as well. There's also Computer Science, but that's more of the artificial intelligence side of the spectrum.

What specifically are you hoping to do with robots?

Cal Poly SLO is one of the best undergraduate teaching universities in the country. CSULB is good for a CSU but it's no Cal Poly. I have worked with several Cal Poly grads and they were all very competent engineers. (I've worked with one CSULB grad and he was also a sharp guy so you can excel either place).

Undergraduate engineering education is all about foundational courses. The more advanced topical courses are fun but they aren't much more than survey courses at the undergrad level. You can really start to dig into things at the grad level, and Cal Poly SLO will prepare you for grad school as well as any undergraduate college money can buy.

for your interest in the field of robotics! Based on your interests and goals, I would recommend pursuing a degree in either mechatronics or robotic engineering. These programs will provide you with a strong foundation in both mechanical and electrical engineering principles, which are essential for designing, building, and programming robots. Additionally, taking electives in mathematics and physics will also be beneficial for understanding the technical aspects of robotics.

While computer science and engineering courses can also be useful in the field of robotics, they may not cover all the necessary topics and skills needed for a career in this field. However, if you are interested in the programming and software side of robotics, then a degree in computer science or computer engineering could also be a good fit for you.

I cannot speak to the specific programs at CalPoly and Cal State LB, as I have not attended either university. However, I would recommend researching the course offerings and speaking with current students or faculty in the robotics department to get a better understanding of the programs and their strengths.

In terms of double majoring, I would suggest considering a combination of mechatronics or robotic engineering with either computer science or computer engineering. This will give you a well-rounded education in both the mechanical and electrical aspects of robotics, as well as the programming and software side. Ultimately, the best combination will depend on your personal interests and career goals.

Good luck with your studies and future career in robotics!

1. What is the main difference between Cal Poly and Cal State LB for robotics?

The main difference between Cal Poly and Cal State LB for robotics is the focus on specific fields within robotics. Cal Poly has a strong emphasis on hands-on experience and applied research, while Cal State LB has a broader focus on theoretical and computer-based approaches.

2. Which university has a better reputation for robotics?

This is a subjective question as both universities have strong reputations in the field of robotics. Cal Poly is known for its hands-on approach and practical experience, while Cal State LB is known for its strong theoretical and research-based approach.

3. What kind of robotics programs do Cal Poly and Cal State LB offer?

Both universities offer undergraduate and graduate degrees in robotics. Cal Poly's program is more focused on applied research and hands-on experience, while Cal State LB offers a broader range of theoretical and research-based courses.

4. Which university has a better location for studying robotics?

This depends on personal preference and career goals. Cal Poly is located in San Luis Obispo, a smaller and more rural city, while Cal State LB is located in Long Beach, a larger and more urban city. Both locations have access to industry and research opportunities in robotics.

5. Can students from both universities collaborate on robotics projects?

Yes, students from both universities can collaborate on robotics projects. In fact, many students from both universities often work together on research projects and participate in robotics competitions.