Red quark going to a red quark via an gluon emission

The two linear combinations mentioned in the question are the only possible combinations for a red quark emitting a gluon and remaining red.In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a red quark emitting a gluon and still remaining red. However, it is not possible as gluons in the adjoint representation of SU(3) always change color. A colorless operator would give the same phase to every color, but the only two possible combinations for a red quark emitting a gluon and remaining red are (R:aR - B:aB)/sqrt(2) and (R:aR + B:aB - 2G:aG)/sqrt(6). This is only possible in u(3) = su(3
Tauk-De
Hi, I'm currently doing a course in particle physics at masters level and I have this problem:

I know that having an red:anti-red gluon isn't possible as this produces an non-zero trace for its representation, but if I have a red quark that emits a gluon and afterwards is still a red quark, what would be the possible gluon combinations/colors? is it just the two linear combinations: (R:aR - B:aB)/sqrt(2) and (R:aR + B:aB - 2G:aG)/sqrt(6) ?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind I found out

Tauk-De said:
... if I have a red quark that emits a gluon and afterwards is still a red quark ...
That's not possible b/c the gluons living in the adjoint rep. of su(3) always change color. A process where the quark color is not affected is possible only in u(3) = su(3) + u(1) where the last u(1) term corresponds to a color-neutral force which would look like QED.

In a common presentation of SU(3) operator matrices, two of them won't change color, but will give different phases to different colors.

A colorless operator would give the same phase to every color.

1. What is a "red quark"?

A red quark is a type of elementary particle that is one of the building blocks of protons and neutrons. It is a member of the quark family, which also includes the blue and green quarks.

2. What does it mean for a red quark to go to another red quark via gluon emission?

This phrase refers to a process in particle interactions where a red quark changes its state and emits a gluon, which is a type of fundamental particle that carries the strong nuclear force.

3. How does this process contribute to the structure of matter?

The interaction between red quarks and gluons is a fundamental force that holds together the subatomic particles that make up the structure of matter. This process helps to form protons and neutrons, which are essential components of atoms.

4. What is the significance of the color "red" in this context?

The term "color" in particle physics refers to a property of quarks that is unrelated to actual color. It is a way to describe the strong nuclear force that holds quarks together. In this context, "red" is one of the three possible colors that quarks can have.

5. Are there other types of quarks and interactions besides the "red quark going to a red quark via gluon emission"?

Yes, there are six types of quarks: up, down, charm, strange, top, and bottom. They can interact with each other through various processes, including the exchange of gluons. There are also other fundamental interactions, such as the weak and electromagnetic forces, that play a role in the structure of matter.