Mathematical Definition of a Primitive Cell

In summary, the conversation is about defining a mathematically rigorous primitive cell, particularly in the context of crystal structure. The individual is struggling to understand the concept and asks for clarification on various definitions. It is eventually determined that the primitive cell of a cubic face-centered structure, such as NaCl, is not the same as the cube and is actually a rhombohedron.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] primitive cell

Homework Statement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primitive_cell
Could someone give me a mathematically rigorous of a primitive cell? I have read like 4 different definitions and none of them seem mathematically rigorous.
I think Wikipedia's definition is particularly ambiguous: "a minimum cell corresponding to a single lattice point" ?
In what sense is minimum being used? In what sense is cell being used?

EDIT: this should probably be in the Advanced Physics section but I cannot delete it or move it

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone PLEASE HELP this problem is driving me insane.

In the picture in the Crystal Structure section of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NaCl, what is the primitive cell AND WHY?

Last edited:
I think I understand now. Go to http://www.neutron.anl.gov/hyper-physics/bravais.html .

The primitive cell of the cubic face-centered structure of the NaCl lattice IS NOT THE CUBE. The cube is the CONVENTIONAL cell for the primitive face-centered cubic structure (e.g. NaCl) but IT CANNOT BE THE PRIMITIVE CELL BECAUSE IT CONTAINS 4 LATTICE POINTS WHICH IS MORE THAN 1.

The primitive cell of the the fcc crystal is actually a rhombohedron.

Last edited by a moderator:
You got the idea :) Crystal structure is quite hard in the beginning, many new things to learn.

What is the mathematical definition of a primitive cell?

The mathematical definition of a primitive cell is the smallest unit cell that can be repeated in all three dimensions to create a crystal lattice. It is the basic building block of a crystal structure.

How is the primitive cell related to the unit cell?

The primitive cell is a type of unit cell, specifically the simplest and smallest type. Other types of unit cells include the conventional unit cell and the Wigner-Seitz unit cell.

What are the characteristics of a primitive cell?

A primitive cell must have three non-coplanar basis vectors, each with a unique length and direction. The angles between these vectors must also be unique. Additionally, all lattice points within the primitive cell must be equivalent.

What is the importance of the primitive cell in crystallography?

The primitive cell is the fundamental unit used to describe the structure of crystals. It allows for the prediction and analysis of various properties of crystals, such as symmetry, density, and diffraction patterns.

How is the primitive cell determined experimentally?

The primitive cell can be determined experimentally through various techniques, such as X-ray diffraction or electron microscopy. These methods involve analyzing the diffraction patterns of a crystal to determine the arrangement of atoms within the primitive cell.