Making a radio that accesses the internet

In summary, it is not easy to stream internet radio using a Worldspace radio receiver. You would need to put a computer inside the receiver in order to run a music-playing application. Alternatively, better off with a table-top internet radio that does not require a PC.
kennitoster
Hi,
I have a Worldspace radio receiver lying around and I listen to internet radio throughout the day using a PC...
I was wondering if there was anyway I could modify the radio receiver and connect it to my modem so that it can access the internet and I can listen to internet radio without leaving the PC on all day!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am no expert, but your radio is a wireless device. Internet is a digital link that need a lot of protocol. I doubt it is even close to compatible.

Even if it is a wireless internet, I believe it is still running 802.11 format that has it's own protocol. It will be a huge project if it is even possible.

I could be wrong, someone might know more.

kennitoster said:
Hi,
I have a Worldspace radio receiver lying around and I listen to internet radio throughout the day using a PC...
I was wondering if there was anyway I could modify the radio receiver and connect it to my modem so that it can access the internet and I can listen to internet radio without leaving the PC on all day!

Hmm.. not easy. You would need to put a computer inside the receiver in order to run a music-playing application.

You might be better off with a table top, stand-alone internet radio. There are several around, like

Some table-top internet radio

This thingie costs only $60 (but of course will not have the same sound quality as a PC audio system) and does not require a PC - only a WiFi modem/router.

Disclaimer: these table-top devices require either an Ethernet cable connection to your modem/router, or an existing WiFi network provided by your modem/router. Better check for compatibility before buying one.

Worldspace radio is proprietary broadcast radio and is no longer transmitting. It would be pretty much impossible to connect the device to a network connection to stream internet radio.

Thanks a lot.
I guess I'll just drop this idea.

1. How does a radio access the internet?

A radio accesses the internet through a built-in Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connection. This allows the radio to connect to a wireless internet network and access online content.

2. What technology is used to make a radio that accesses the internet?

The technology used to make a radio that accesses the internet is a combination of radio frequency (RF) technology and wireless internet technology. RF technology is used to receive and transmit radio signals, while wireless internet technology allows for the connection to the internet.

3. What features should I look for in a radio that accesses the internet?

When looking for a radio that accesses the internet, it is important to consider the type of wireless connection it supports (Wi-Fi or Bluetooth), the range of the wireless connection, and the compatibility with different internet networks and streaming services.

4. Can I use a radio that accesses the internet without a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connection?

No, a radio that accesses the internet requires a wireless connection to function. However, some models may also have the option to connect via an Ethernet cable.

5. How do I set up a radio that accesses the internet?

The exact steps for setting up a radio that accesses the internet may vary depending on the model, but generally, you will need to connect the radio to a power source and then follow the instructions for connecting to a wireless network. This may involve entering a Wi-Fi password or selecting a network from a list of available options.