QM - Etop of electron distribution of a semiconductor

In summary, the question is about finding the energy level above Ec for a nondegenerate semiconductor, specifically GaAs with Eg = 1.42eV at T = 300K. The relevant equations are the isotropic effective mass (m_e), energy states (g_c(E)), Fermi function (f(E)), and electron distribution (n=N_c). The approach involves setting a Fermi energy level 3kT above Ec and then using this to calculate n. The next step is equating n to an integral and solving for the top limit (E_top), which can be found by taking the derivative of g_c(E) * f(E).
f_xer

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find energy level above Ec where electron distribution makes a peak for a nondegenerate semiconductor. For this case we may take GaAs having Eg = 1.42eV at T = 300K.

Homework Equations

[tex]m_e[/tex]=single isotrophic effective mass or [tex]m_0[/tex]
energy states, [tex]g_{c}(E) = \frac{m_{e}\ast\sqrt{2m_{e}(E-E_{c})}}{pi^2 * hbar^3}[/tex]
fermi function for a nondegenerate semiconductor, [tex]f(E) = exp((E_f-E)/kT)[/tex]
electron distribution, [tex]n=N_{c}*exp((Ef-Ec)/kT)[/tex] and [tex]N_{c}=4.21\ast10^{17} cm^-3[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'll give a fermi energy level equal to 3kT above Ec where semi.con. is still nondegenerate. Then I'll calculate n. Afterwards I'll equate n to [tex]\int g_{c}(E)*f(E)*dE [/tex] taking a limit to 99 % of n. By that I intend to find top limit of the integral which must be the Etop.
But i do not how to evaluate a integral such as [tex]\sqrt{E}*exp(c*E)[/tex]
ps: partial integral is not working.
Is there another {easy :( }approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
I found the answer:
derivative of
[tex]g_{c}(E) * f(E) [/tex]
gives the minimum points of electron distribution
one of them is [tex]E_{c}[/tex] and the other is [tex]E_{top}[/tex] which is asked by the question ;)

1. What is the meaning of QM in relation to the electron distribution of a semiconductor?

QM stands for quantum mechanics, which is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. In the context of electron distribution in a semiconductor, QM refers to the application of quantum mechanics principles to understand the behavior of electrons within the material.

2. How does QM affect the electron distribution in a semiconductor?

QM plays a crucial role in determining the energy levels and movements of electrons in a semiconductor. It takes into account concepts such as wave-particle duality, energy quantization, and uncertainty principle to explain the unique properties of semiconductors, such as band gaps and carrier mobility.

3. What is the significance of the Etop of electron distribution in a semiconductor?

The Etop, or the top of the conduction band, is an important parameter in semiconductors as it represents the maximum energy level that electrons can occupy in the material. This energy level determines the conductivity and other electronic properties of the semiconductor.

4. How is the electron distribution in a semiconductor affected by temperature?

At higher temperatures, the thermal energy of the electrons in a semiconductor increases, causing them to move to higher energy levels and making it easier for them to conduct electricity. This results in a wider distribution of electrons across energy levels, leading to an increase in conductivity.

5. Can the electron distribution in a semiconductor be controlled?

Yes, the electron distribution in a semiconductor can be controlled through various methods such as doping, applying an external electric field, or using light to excite electrons. These techniques can alter the energy levels and movement of electrons, thereby affecting the conductivity and other properties of the semiconductor.