International Brain Bee Competition

In summary, there is a contest called the IBB that focuses on neurology and the brain. It requires studying and possibly finding a mentor to assist with preparation. There are resources available, such as online brain atlases, but it may be helpful to study multiple sources to understand variations. The minimum commitment for the contest is to find a neuroscientist who is willing to conduct the quiz and provide doughnuts for the participants.
Artermis
Has anyone heard of the IBB? I think I might participate in it seriously, and if so, I'm going to need some assistance on what to study, how to go about it, and maybe even a mentor that I could talk to ;P

Basically this is a contest about neurology, and all stuff relating to the brain.

A few links:
http://web.sfn.org/baw/bee.cfm

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I haven't ever been involved in one, but from the info on it, it sounds like the type of questions that DocToxyn, Neurocomp and myself can probably help field your questions on. I think Hypnogogue has a link to an online brain atlas (make sure you're looking at one for humans, not rodents :biggrin:) up in the sticky with neuro resources. That'll probably be the hardest part, the rest is more typical studying of information. Looking at pictures and then being tested on a real brain might not be as obvious. I'd suggest looking at the same structure in multiple atlases to get an idea of how much variation you might expect, unless you have access to an anatomy lab.

I'm laughing at this part of the instructions though:
The minimum personnel commitment is one neuroscientist who would contact the high schools, schedule a place and time, buy some doughnuts, and conduct the brain bee.

:rofl: Geez, not enough to find yourself a neuroscientist, but you have to find one willing to buy doughnuts! :grumpy: I think you should all be bringing doughnuts for the neuroscientist willing to volunteer to give the quiz, not the other way around! :biggrin: :rofl:

Hi there! Yes, I have definitely heard of the International Brain Bee Competition. It is a highly respected and prestigious event that brings together students from all over the world to showcase their knowledge and passion for neurology. Congratulations on considering participating in this competition! It takes a lot of dedication and hard work to prepare for such a challenging event.

As for what to study and how to go about it, I would suggest starting with the official website for the competition (http://www.thebrainbee.org/). They have a lot of helpful resources, including study materials and tips for preparing for the competition. It would also be a good idea to reach out to your local neuroscience society or university for additional study materials and potential mentors who could guide you in your preparation.

In terms of finding a mentor, I would recommend approaching a professor or researcher in the field of neurology or neuroscience. They would have the expertise and knowledge to guide you in your studies and provide valuable insights into the competition. You could also consider reaching out to past participants of the Brain Bee competition for advice and support.

Best of luck in your preparations and I hope to see you at the International Brain Bee Competition! It is an incredible opportunity to learn, network, and showcase your passion for the brain. Keep us updated on your progress and don't hesitate to reach out for any further assistance.

What is the International Brain Bee Competition?

The International Brain Bee Competition is an international neuroscience competition that aims to motivate high school students to learn more about the brain and pursue careers in neuroscience. It is organized by the International Brain Bee Organization and has been held annually since 1999.

Who can participate in the International Brain Bee Competition?

The International Brain Bee Competition is open to high school students between the ages of 13 and 19. Students must be enrolled in a high school or equivalent institution and must not have completed more than 2 years of university-level education.

How is the International Brain Bee Competition structured?

The competition consists of three rounds: a written exam, a neuroanatomy practical exam, and an oral exam. The written exam covers topics such as basic neuroscience, brain structure and function, and neurological disorders. The neuroanatomy practical exam tests students' ability to identify brain structures and their functions. The oral exam consists of questions about the latest advancements in neuroscience.

How are participants selected for the International Brain Bee Competition?

Participants are selected through local and national Brain Bee competitions. These competitions are organized by local coordinators and are usually held in schools or universities. The winners of these competitions then advance to the International Brain Bee Competition.

What are the benefits of participating in the International Brain Bee Competition?

Participating in the International Brain Bee Competition not only allows students to learn more about the brain and neuroscience, but also provides them with the opportunity to meet and network with like-minded students from around the world. It can also open doors for future academic and career opportunities in the field of neuroscience.