RLC circuit step response time domain

In summary: It is clear that the conversation is discussing a problem involving Laplace transforms and differential equations, specifically in relation to an RC circuit and a series RLC circuit. The individual has successfully found the step response for the RC circuit but is struggling to do so for the RLC circuit. They are asking for guidance and someone suggests going back to differential equation notation. Another person mentions using MATLAB to solve the problem. Finally, the original poster admits to being lazy and not wanting to solve the problem by hand. Overall, the conversation is discussing the process of finding the step response for an RLC circuit using Laplace transforms and differential equations. In summary, the conversation involves the use of Laplace transforms and differential equations to find the step response for an RLC
ankh
This is more of a math question but i feel like i will get more help among Electrical Engineers.

I successfully found the step response of an RC circuit in the time domain using Laplace Transforms.

But i can't seem to figure out how to do it with an RLC transfer function.

I have the following transfer function for a series RLC with a step input:

http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=38900900ag5.png

a push in the right direction would be appreciated.

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest that you unwind your Laplace transforms and write the description again as a differential equation. You will then need to find homogeneous and particular solutions to the differential equation. In engineering terminology, these are often called the transient and steady state solutions for the differential equation. But the first step is to back away from the Laplace transforms and go back to differential equation notation and thinking.

ye lol i just used matlab

syms s
C=...equation..
c=ilaplace(C)

if anyone wants to post how to do it by hand, go ahead. I don't need to do it by hand for this particular assignment.

Thanks for help. I do see now how to do it band nut i am to lazy to do it.

Evidently lazy is the operative word here.

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor, inductor, and capacitor. These components are connected in series or in parallel and can be used to filter, amplify, or control the flow of electricity in a circuit.

2. What is step response in the time domain?

Step response in the time domain is the behavior of an RLC circuit when a sudden change, or step, in the input voltage or current occurs. It is a measure of how quickly the circuit reaches a steady-state response after the step change.

3. How is the step response of an RLC circuit calculated?

The step response of an RLC circuit can be calculated using the differential equations that describe the circuit. These equations can be solved using various mathematical methods, such as Laplace transforms, to determine the step response.

4. What factors affect the step response time of an RLC circuit?

The step response time of an RLC circuit is affected by the values of the components (resistor, inductor, and capacitor), the initial conditions of the circuit, and the type of input signal. The higher the resistance and inductance values, the longer the step response time will be.

5. How can the step response time of an RLC circuit be improved?

The step response time of an RLC circuit can be improved by optimizing the values of the components and minimizing the initial conditions. This can be achieved through circuit design and by using feedback systems to control the input signal. Additionally, using higher quality components can also help improve the step response time.