Harmonic Load in the Time and Frequency Domains

In summary: It's an alternate of the sinusoid that is easier mathematically to work with. For example, if you wanted to know the average power delivered to a resistor, it's the average of the squared value of the phasor, (F0/√2)^2/R, which is just (F0^2/2)/R. It's a little easier to think of this way when working with reactive circuits and power factor.So, once in the frequency domain, you'd have to transform the phasor back to a sinusoid, if that's what you wanted. This is easily done by taking the real part of the phasor, or the cosine of the phase angle of the ph
CivilSigma

Homework Statement

For any harmonic load:

$$F(t)=F_0\cdot \sin(\omega t)$$

What is the corresponding Frequency domain equivalent?

My lecture notes is suggesting:

$$ F(t)=F_0 \cdot e^{i \omega t} $$

But I am failing to see how they are equal?

The lesson is about Stochastic Response of single degree of freedom structures and how to obtain the Transfer function from solving the dynamic equation of motion ( I could provide more detail if it is necessary, but it is the above giving me a hard time)

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm on my phone. If you search for Euler's relationship and look how sine cosine and e are related.

Likes CivilSigma
Well,

$$\sin x = \frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2}$$

But my lecture notes is only using one exponential function to replace the sin function.

Actually there is an ## i## in the denominator, like this:
$$\sin x = \frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}$$
It is a possibility that they wanted you to take the imaginary portion of ##e^{i\omega t}##, since ## e^{ix} = cos (x) + i sin (x) ##

Likes CivilSigma
CivilSigma said:

Homework Statement

For any harmonic load:
$$F(t)=F_0\cdot \sin(\omega t)$$
What is the corresponding Frequency domain equivalent?
My lecture notes is suggesting:
$$ F(t)=F_0 \cdot e^{i \omega t} $$
But I am failing to see how they are equal?
The lesson is about Stochastic Response of single degree of freedom structures and how to obtain the Transfer function from solving the dynamic equation of motion ( I could provide more detail if it is necessary, but it is the above giving me a hard time)
Thank you
Both are time domain.
A frequency domain expression of sin(wt) would be a Laplace, Fourier, or other frequency transform (the simplest is for steady-state situations for which that transform would be just F0., known as a phasor. Or more commonly as F0/√2.

Likes CivilSigma

What is Harmonic Load?

Harmonic load refers to the presence of harmonics in a power system. Harmonics are multiples of the fundamental frequency and can cause distortion in the voltage and current waveforms, leading to potential issues with equipment and power quality.

What is the difference between Time and Frequency Domains?

The time domain refers to the representation of signals in the form of amplitude vs. time. This representation is useful for analyzing the behavior of a signal over time. The frequency domain, on the other hand, represents signals in terms of amplitude vs. frequency. This representation is useful for analyzing the frequency components present in a signal.

How does Harmonic Load affect power quality?

Harmonic load can cause voltage and current distortions, which can lead to issues with power quality. This can include flickering lights, overheating of equipment, and interference with communication systems.

How is Harmonic Load measured in the Time Domain?

In the time domain, harmonic load is measured using a power quality analyzer. This device captures voltage and current waveforms and calculates the harmonic content using Fourier analysis. The results are typically displayed as a harmonic spectrum, showing the magnitudes of each harmonic component.

How is Harmonic Load measured in the Frequency Domain?

In the frequency domain, harmonic load is measured using a spectrum analyzer. This device captures a signal and displays its frequency components, including harmonics. The results are typically displayed as a spectrum plot, showing the amplitude of each frequency component.