SU(2) operators to SU(N) generators for Heisenberg XXX

In summary, the paper discusses the SU(N) generalization of the quantum Heisenberg model, which can also be written as an SU(2) system with spin S=(N-1)/2 moments interacting via higher-order exchange processes. The paper also presents an exact mapping that connects the conventional SU(2) spin operators to the SU(N) generators, allowing the Hamiltonian to be expressed in terms of SU(2) symmetry with higher spin. The paper does not explicitly mention whether this result can be generalized for a 1-dim spin chain, but suggests that it may be possible with further analysis and understanding of Lie algebra. The author also mentions that their knowledge of Lie algebra is limited and they are working on expanding their understanding
Maybe_Memorie
A paper I'm reading says

"Our starting point is the [itex]SU(N)[/itex] generalization of the quantum Heisenberg model:
[tex]H=-J\sum_{\langle i,j \rangle}H_{ij}=\frac{J}{N}\sum_{\langle i,j \rangle}\sum_{\alpha , \beta =1}^N J_{\beta}^{\alpha}(i)J_{\alpha}^{\beta}(j)
[/tex]
The [itex]J_{\beta}^{\alpha}[/itex] are the generators of the [itex]SU(N)[/itex] algebra and satisfy the usual commutation relations.

** The [itex]SU(N)[/itex] Heisenberg model can alternatively be written as an [itex]SU(2)[/itex] system with spin [itex]S=(N-1)/2[/itex] moments interacting via higher-order exchange processes.

An exact mapping connects the conventional [itex]SU(2)[/itex] spin operators to the [itex]SU(N)[/itex] generators as follows:
[tex]STUFF
[/tex]

The Hamiltonian can then be expressed in terms of
[tex]STUFF
[/tex]"

This is the paper http://arxiv.org/pdf/0812.3657.pdf. The stuff in question is on page 2.

Sorry I didn't LaTeX the full thing but I'm using a foreign keyboard and it would've taken ages.

My questions... How is ** arrived at? Presently my Lie algebra knowledge is very lacking but I'm working on it. This paper is about a square lattice. Can the result still be generalised for a 1-dim spin chain such as the Heisenberg XXX model with [itex]SU(N)[/itex]?

So essentially my real question is can I express SU(N) symmetry in terms of SU(2) symmetry with higher spin for the 1-dim spin chain, and if so how is the result arrived at?

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. What is SU(2) and how does it relate to Heisenberg XXX operators?

SU(2) is a mathematical group representing the special unitary group in two dimensions. It is relevant to Heisenberg XXX operators because these operators can be expressed as linear combinations of the generators of SU(2).

2. Can SU(2) operators be extended to SU(N) generators for Heisenberg XXX?

Yes, the concept of SU(2) operators can be extended to SU(N) generators for Heisenberg XXX by using the same mathematical principles. However, the number of generators will increase with the dimensionality of the system.

3. How are SU(2) operators and SU(N) generators used in the Heisenberg XXX model?

In the Heisenberg XXX model, SU(2) operators and SU(N) generators are used to represent the spin operators of the particles in the system. These operators are crucial for understanding the dynamics and properties of the system.

4. What is the significance of the Heisenberg XXX model in quantum mechanics?

The Heisenberg XXX model is a simplified version of the Heisenberg model, which is a fundamental model in quantum mechanics. It is used to study the behavior of spin systems and has applications in condensed matter physics, quantum information, and many other areas.

5. Are there any limitations to using SU(2) operators and SU(N) generators for Heisenberg XXX?

Yes, there are limitations to using SU(2) operators and SU(N) generators for Heisenberg XXX, as they are only applicable to systems with spin-1/2 particles. For systems with higher spin particles, different mathematical frameworks must be used.