SO(3) group, Heisenberg Hamiltonian

In summary, the commutation relation ##[J_j,J_k]=i \epsilon_{jkl}J_l## is satisfied for ##2x2##, ##3x3##, and ##4x4## matrices. These matrices generate the Lie algebra of the SO(3) group, but the dimension of the group can vary depending on the spin of the system. The Heisenberg Hamiltonian, for example, is always ##SO(3)## invariant, but the overall symmetry can be described as SO(n) depending on the irreducible representation of the spin group being considered. The dimension of the group and its matrices are determined by the commutator relations, with the general group element being ##G(\Theta)
LagrangeEuler
We have commutation relation ##[J_j,J_k]=i \epsilon_{jkl}J_l## satisfied for ##2x2##, ##3x3##, ##4x4## matrices. Are in all dimensions these matrices generate ##SO(3)## group? I am confused because I think that maybe for ##4x4## matrices they will generate ##SO(4)## group. For instance for Heisenberg Hamiltonian
[tex]H=-\frac{J}{2}\sum_{n,m}\vec{S}_n \cdot \vec{S}_m[/tex] depending on spin of the sistem is this Hamiltonian always ##SO(3)## invariant or no? Or it is SO(n) symmetry in general?

Physics news on Phys.org
They together close to form the Lie algebra of the SO(3) group. But SO(3) (and so(3) the Lie algebra) can have various dimensional representations. So yes, it depends on the "spin of the system" which is another way of specifying which irreducible representation of SO(3) (or rather its corresponding spin group) you're considering.

Note: The dimension of the group is number of independent parameters which equates to the number of (linearly) independent generators. Hence here the general group element is: ##G(\Theta) =\exp( i\theta^k J_k)##. The group here is 3 dimensional... but which 3-dim group? That's what the commutator relations determine. Then what dimensional matrices these generators are describes the dimension of the representation.

[Edit] Let me add, for SO(n) the n is the dimension of the fundamental representation, namely the spin 1 or vector representation.

Last edited:
Likes LagrangeEuler

1. What is the SO(3) group?

The SO(3) group, also known as the special orthogonal group in three dimensions, is a mathematical group consisting of all 3x3 orthogonal matrices with determinant equal to 1. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent rotations in three-dimensional space.

2. What is the significance of the SO(3) group in physics?

The SO(3) group is important in physics because it is the mathematical representation of the physical concept of rotation. It is used to describe the behavior of objects in three-dimensional space, such as the rotation of a rigid body or the orientation of a particle's spin.

3. What is the Heisenberg Hamiltonian and how does it relate to the SO(3) group?

The Heisenberg Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the total energy of a system. It is closely related to the SO(3) group because it is used to describe the rotational symmetry of a physical system, such as a molecule or a crystal.

4. How is the SO(3) group used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the SO(3) group is used to represent the rotational symmetry of a physical system, which is an important concept in understanding the behavior of particles and molecules. It is also used in the study of angular momentum and spin, which are fundamental properties of particles.

5. What are some practical applications of the SO(3) group and Heisenberg Hamiltonian?

The SO(3) group and Heisenberg Hamiltonian have many practical applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used to study the behavior of molecules, crystals, and other physical systems. They are also used in the development of quantum computing and in the design of advanced materials and technologies.