An integration method

In summary, the conversation is about a quote from "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman" discussing a method for differentiating parameters under the integral sign. The person is unsure if this method is taught in higher-level mathematics or if they have learned and forgotten it. It is suggested that the method being referred to is "Leibniz's rule", which is taught in advanced Calculus and Differential Equations courses. The conversation then goes on to discuss the technicalities and variations of this rule.
Saint Medici
I was flipping through "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman" and I came across something he said that I'm curious about. I'll go ahead and quote it:

"The book showed how to differentiate parameters under the integral sign - it's a certain operation. It turns out that's not taught very much in the universities; they don't emphasize it. But I caught on how to use that method, and I used that one damn too again and again."

My question is, what method is he referring to? I'm only in vector cal, so I don't know if it's a method that is associated with higher-level mathematics, or if it's just something that I've "learned" and forgotten or what. So if anyone could enlighten me as to this method, how it's done, when it's used, etc., I'd be much appreciative. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your quote refers to differentiating parameters under the integral sign. I am not sure what else could be meant.

The only thing I could think of was "Leibniz's rule" which certainly is taught, sometimes in both advanced Calculus and Differential Equations courses (where it is used extensively):
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)}f(x,t)dt= \int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)}\frac{\partial f(x,t)}{\partial x}dt + \frac{d\alpha(x)}{dx}f(x,\alpha(x))- \frac{d\beta(x)}{dx}f(x,\beta(x))[/tex]

(thanks, arildo!)

Alright, already! Is it good now? You know I can't be worried about little thing like one more or less "dt". (And "Liebniz" and "Lagrange" were really the same guy weren't they!) :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
"Lagrange's rule"?
That's odd; I know it as "Leibniz' rule"..

Wow, you're fast! I hadn't finished editing!

Well, it could just be one rule you were referring to, whatever shape you first presented it in..:wink:
Note:
You have a sign flaw in the upper&lower limit differentiations.

And there should be a dt in there somewhere...

And to be fully general there needs to be limits sprinkled into there somehow...

HallsofIvy said:
The only thing I could think of was "Leibniz's rule" which certainly is taught, sometimes in both advanced Calculus and Differential Equations courses (where it is used extensively):
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)}f(x,t)dt= \int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)}\frac{\partial f(x,t)}{\partial x}dt + \frac{d\alpha(x)}{dx}f(x,\alpha(x))- \frac{d\beta(x)}{dx}f(x,\beta(x))[/tex]

(thanks, arildo!)

Alright, already! Is it good now? You know I can't be worried about little thing like one more or less "dt". (And "Liebniz" and "Lagrange" were really the same guy weren't they!) :smile:
I (almost..:wink:) hate to be picky, but I prefer it this way:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)}f(x,t)dt= \int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)}\frac{\partial f(x,t)}{\partial x}dt + \frac{d\beta(x)}{dx}f(x,\beta(x))- \frac{d\alpha(x)}{dx}f(x,\alpha(x))[/tex]

1. What is an integration method?

An integration method is a mathematical technique used to calculate the definite or indefinite integral of a function. It is used to find the area under a curve or the value of a function at a certain point.

2. Why do we need integration methods?

We need integration methods to solve problems that involve finding the area under a curve, calculating the volume of a 3-dimensional shape, or determining the displacement of an object over a certain time period. These methods allow us to find exact solutions to these problems rather than relying on approximations.

3. What are the different types of integration methods?

There are several types of integration methods, including the Riemann sum method, the Trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, and the Monte Carlo method. Each method has its own advantages and is suited for different types of problems.

4. How do integration methods work?

Integration methods work by dividing the area under a curve into smaller, more manageable sections and approximating the area of each section. The sum of these approximations gives an estimate of the total area under the curve. As the number of sections increases, the accuracy of the solution also improves.

5. What are some real-life applications of integration methods?

Integration methods have many real-life applications, such as calculating the speed of a moving object, determining the amount of paint needed to cover a curved surface, and predicting the future value of investments. They are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.