Solving a definite integral by differentiation under the integral

In summary, The integral ##\int_0^1 \frac{\log (x+1)}{x^2+1}## can be solved using a tangent substitution or by differentiating ##f## under the integral with respect to the parameter ##t##, where ##f(t) = \int_0^1 \frac{\log (tx+1)}{x^2+1}##. However, there is no systematic way to determine where to place the parameter, it is something that must be figured out by the individual working on the integral.
Mr Davis 97
Say we have the following integral: ##\displaystyle \int_0^1 \frac{\log (x+1)}{x^2+1}##. I know how to do this integral with a tangent substitution. However, I saw another method, which was by differentiating ##f## under the integral with respect to the parameter ##t##, where we let ##\displaystyle f(t) = \int_0^1 \frac{\log (tx+1)}{x^2+1}##. This indeed leads to a solution, where after differentiating, we integrate again to get the solution. However, to use this method, first we have to find somewhere to insert the parameter. How does one figure out that the ##t## goes where it does as in this example? If I were trying to do this integral by differentiating under the integral on my own, why would I think to put the ##t## there as opposed to somewhere else?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is any systematic way for that. Its something you should figure out by yourself whether this method can be used for a particular integral or not. In fact if a particular place comes to your mind that placing the parameter there would let you use this method, then you can consider using this method. Its not the other way around.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. How does differentiation under the integral work?

Differentiation under the integral is a method used to solve definite integrals by first differentiating the integrand with respect to the variable of integration, then evaluating the resulting expression at the limits of integration.

2. When should I use differentiation under the integral?

This method is most commonly used when the integrand involves a variable within a limit of integration, or when the integrand is difficult to integrate using traditional methods.

3. What are the steps involved in solving a definite integral using differentiation under the integral?

The steps involved are:

• Differentiate the integrand with respect to the variable of integration.
  • Evaluate the resulting expression at the limits of integration.
  • Subtract the value at the lower limit from the value at the upper limit.

4. Can differentiation under the integral be used for all types of integrals?

No, this method may not work for all types of integrals. It is most effective for integrals involving a variable within a limit of integration or for integrands that are difficult to integrate using traditional methods.

5. Are there any limitations to using differentiation under the integral?

One limitation is that it may not work for all types of integrals. Additionally, this method may not be as accurate as traditional integration methods and may require more calculations.