Spare time project suggestions

In summary, you should try to design and build a solar-powered desalination plant to make potable water.
Tomas
Hello I'm currently first year mechanical engineering student and I have some spare time. I want to take on a project of some sorts that would be interesting and maybe relevant to my degree or general theme of engineering. I was wondering if anyone could suggest or recommend something and maybe drop some links of people doing something with detailed descriptions and kind of step by step analysis. Examples of a project I would be interested in doing is something like building your own remote control car or something similar.

Thank you for all of your feedback.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Tomas said:
Hello I'm currently first year mechanical engineering student and I have some spare time. I want to take on a project of some sorts that would be interesting and maybe relevant to my degree or general theme of engineering. I was wondering if anyone could suggest or recommend something and maybe drop some links of people doing something with detailed descriptions and kind of step by step analysis. Examples of a project I would be interested in doing is something like building your own remote control car or something similar.

Thank you for all of your feedback.

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

You should get a ton of ideas from Make Magazine: http://makezine.com/

What kind of tools do you have at your disposal? Drill press, lathe, soldering tools, router, etc?

I have the most common hand tools and drills all that stuff. And i can get access to all sorts of machines at the university.

A solar heater.

A Hydrogen Gas Generator. Then you can work out the kinks in making Hydrogen more safe and easily portable for everyday use. Or you can just make an HHO generator and use that as a plasma cutter lol.

Nikola Tesla's bladeless turbine has been claimed to reach efficiencies of over 95%. Nobody has ever come close.

Try to design and build one with such efficiency, they are easy and inexpensive to make so if you do manage to successfully design one just patent your solution and live off the royalties forever.

I saw this on the TV news last night -- solar-powered desalination plants for making potable water:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_desalination

Apparently there is one being proposed for here in Northern California right now...

What are some good suggestions for spare time projects?

There are many different options for spare time projects, but it ultimately depends on your interests and skills. Some ideas include learning a new language, picking up a new hobby or skill, volunteering in your community, or starting a DIY project.

How can I make the most out of my spare time projects?

To make the most out of your spare time projects, it's important to set clear goals and prioritize your time effectively. Make a plan and break your project into smaller, achievable tasks. It's also important to stay motivated and consistent, even when faced with challenges or setbacks.

Are there any spare time projects that can benefit my career?

Absolutely! Spare time projects can be a great opportunity to learn new skills and gain experience that can be valuable in your career. For example, taking online courses or participating in a coding bootcamp can improve your technical skills, while volunteering or starting a side business can demonstrate leadership and initiative.

How can I come up with my own spare time project ideas?

One way to come up with your own spare time project ideas is to think about your passions and interests. What topics or activities do you enjoy in your free time? You can also consider any skills or knowledge that you would like to develop further. Additionally, asking friends or family for suggestions or browsing online for inspiration can also help generate ideas.

Should I prioritize completing spare time projects over other responsibilities?

It's important to find a balance between completing spare time projects and fulfilling other responsibilities. It's okay to prioritize your spare time projects, but make sure you are still meeting your other obligations. You may also need to adjust your priorities depending on your current workload and schedule. Ultimately, it's important to find a balance that works for you.