I'm searching for a theme for my matura project

cyberspacy_
Hello

I'd like to write my matura project on a topic of physics. But I can't really find a topic. I think I'd like to do something in the field of mechanics with reference to everyday life. The project requires an input of myself in this work, that means, i have to do something empirical and not only using secondary sources. Does someone have an idea what would be easy to implement and at the same time interesting to investigate and write about?

Thanks for some ideas
cyberspacy

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

cyberspacy_ said:
I'd like to write my matura project on a topic of physics.
What's a matura project? Are you in university or high school? What year are you? What have you been studying in your Physics classes most recently?

Likes Vanadium 50
The first thing that came to my mind was statics. You could investigate the mechanical load of different materials (glass, wood, concrete with and without armor, etc.)

Likes Haborix and cyberspacy_
1) Another possible project would be the study of the motion of a frisbee or the mechanics a Roman siege engine ie catapult, trebuchet, or ballista.

2) The ballista is interesting because it used the torsion of twisting ropes to store energy. The Romans built a smaller version called a scorpio on the same principle.

3) Yet another would be longbow vs crossbow vs mongol shortbow. You could calculate arrow speed and distance.

4) Model rocketry has a lot of mechanics.

5) The physics behind famous bouncing bomb of WW2.

Last edited:
Likes DeBangis21, Haborix and cyberspacy_
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.What's a matura project? Are you in university or high school? What year are you? What have you been studying in your Physics classes most recently?
It's kind of a final work we do in Switzerland after six years of high school and I'm in my fifth year of high school but I had physics in school for only two years. Recently we studied mechanical and aucustic waves, conservation of momentum and energy conservation (really basic stuff). A colleague of mine for example studied the double pendulum (so you can imagine the required difficulty)

The double pendulum is already not that trivial!

I don't know, how complicated things must be, but already the "simple pendulum" would be a nice research project, which gives plenty of opportunities for both theoretical and experimental work. A rough project would be:

(a) derivation of the equation of motion: ##m L^2 \ddot{\phi}=-m g \sin \phi##, where ##\phi## is the angle with respect to the direction of ##\vec{g}##. The most simple case is where a mass is tight to a much lighter rope ("mathematical pendulum"). Then you can derive the equation of motion by analyzing the forces (gravitational field of the Earth + tension of the rope) on the body and writing down Newton's equation of motion, ##\vec{F}=m\vec{a}##.

More challenging is a rigid body fastened to rotate around a fixed axis, for which you need in addition the moment of inertia, center of mass, etc.

(b) Analyzing the solutions, which is tricky. The equation of motion cannot be solved with the standard elementary functions you are used to (it leads to socalled elliptic functions), but you can demonstrate energy conservation easily as an exact analytical result.

Next you can consider small excitations around the static solution ##\phi=0##, i.e., small amplitudes, where you can set ##\sin \phi \approx \phi##. Then you get "harmonic motion", and you can discuss the solutions of linear differential equations of 2nd order, finding the complete solutions (as superposition of two linearly independent solutions, ##\cos(\omega t)##, ##\sin (\omega t)##. In this approximation the frequency ##f=1/T=\omega/(2 pi)## is independent of the amplitude.

(c) Using the energy-conservation law next you can find the integral determining the exact period of the pendulum, which depends on the amplitude, but this integral is not solvable with elementary functions, but you can derive a series expansion in powers of the amplitude, calculating corrections to the amplitude-independent ##\omega##.

Alternatively you can also try perturbation theory with the amplitude as the expansion parameter. This is, however very amititious on the high-school level.

(d) Experimentally you can use the pendulum to determine the gravitational acceleration, ##g## at your place (using small-amplitude oscillations as a first approximation and discussing the systematical errors using this assumptions etc.). In addition you can also study the dependence of the period on the amplitude and compare it to the theoretical estimates of item (c).

Likes DeBangis21, Haborix, cyberspacy_ and 1 other person
Coupled oscillators can show some interesting behavior, see these coupled metronomes. If you want to do something with acoustics, you could think about measuring the intensity of sound from a piano for given key strike velocities, and maybe you could move the decibel meter around in the room to map out how the sound waves are distributing.

Likes cyberspacy_ and vanhees71

1. What is a matura project?

A matura project is a final project or thesis that high school students in some countries, such as Austria, Switzerland, and Germany, must complete in order to graduate. It typically involves independent research and presentation of findings on a chosen topic.

2. Why is it important to choose a theme for a matura project?

Choosing a theme for a matura project is important because it allows you to focus your research and present a cohesive and meaningful project. It also allows you to explore a topic that interests you and showcase your skills and knowledge in a particular area.

3. How do I choose a theme for my matura project?

There are several ways to choose a theme for your matura project. You can start by brainstorming ideas based on your interests, hobbies, or academic strengths. You can also talk to your teachers, peers, or family members for suggestions. It's important to choose a theme that you are passionate about and have access to resources for research.

4. Can I change my theme for my matura project if I change my mind?

It is possible to change your theme for your matura project, but it's best to do so early on in the process. Changing your theme too late may result in a rushed and incomplete project. If you do decide to change your theme, make sure to communicate with your teachers and get their approval.

5. How can I make sure my chosen theme is suitable for a matura project?

To ensure that your chosen theme is suitable for a matura project, you can consult with your teachers or refer to guidelines provided by your school. Your theme should be relevant to your field of study and allow for in-depth research and analysis. It should also align with the requirements and expectations set by your school for the matura project.