Could anyone derive an assertion found in light and matter, a strange theory ?

In summary, the conversation is about deriving an assertion in "light and matter, a strange theory" regarding the propagator of the Klein Gordon photon. The form of the integral to compute is discussed, with the use of scaling and spacetime rotational invariance being suggested to deduce the required form. The possibility of using Wick rotation is also mentioned.
naima
Gold Member
Could anyone derive an assertion found in "light and matter, a strange theory"?

Feynman writes in his book that the propagator
of the Klein Gordon photon is proportional to
1/(r2 - t2)
Have you ever read the proof?

Physics news on Phys.org

I found this
http://www.oberlin.edu/physics/dstyer/StrangeQM/Klein-Gordon.pdf"
Where (12) is what I'd like to get.
I do not understand how I can evaluate it using eq (30).

Last edited by a moderator:

The form follows from dimensional analysis and relativistic invariance. The main thing that requires some work to figure out is the pole structure i.e. what happens when [tex] r \rightarrow t [/tex]

[tex] f(x) = \int \frac{d^4 p}{(2\pi)^4} \frac{e^{i p x}}{p^2} [/tex] is the integral you want to compute (I have used relativistic notation). By scaling [tex] x \rightarrow \lambda x [/tex] and using spacetime rotational invariance you should be able to deduce the required form.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Have I to use Wick rotation to get the result?

Physics Monkey said:
By scaling [tex] x \rightarrow \lambda x [/tex] and using spacetime rotational invariance you should be able to deduce the required form.
Hope this helps.

Thank you very much, Physics Monkey.
This is exactly what I had missed!

1. What is the assertion found in light and matter?

The assertion found in light and matter is that light and matter are made up of both wave-like and particle-like properties, known as the wave-particle duality.

2. How did the strange theory of light and matter come about?

The strange theory of light and matter was first proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905, when he published his theory of special relativity. This theory combined the ideas of wave-like and particle-like behavior of light and matter, and was later expanded upon by other scientists.

3. How does the wave-particle duality affect our understanding of light and matter?

The wave-particle duality of light and matter challenges our traditional understanding of these entities as separate and distinct. Instead, it suggests that light and matter exist on a spectrum and can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior depending on the situation.

4. Can the strange theory of light and matter be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the strange theory of light and matter can be observed in everyday life through various experiments and phenomena. For example, the double-slit experiment demonstrates the wave-like behavior of light, while the photoelectric effect demonstrates the particle-like behavior of light.

5. How does the strange theory of light and matter impact other areas of science?

The strange theory of light and matter has had a significant impact on many areas of science, including quantum mechanics, particle physics, and cosmology. It has also led to the development of various technologies, such as lasers and transistors, that have revolutionized modern society.