Creating a square wave with current strong enough to light a powerful LED

In summary, the conversation is about creating a square wave to power an LED for a project. The person is unsure of the best solution and wonders if a 555 timer could work with a transistor to increase current. They also mention possibly using a 741 and inquire about the best way to hook up the LED for maximum efficiency. Suggestions are given to look into LED drivers for maximum efficiency and to consider using two 555 timers or a diode/resistor combination to solve the issue of the high value being less than the low value in the formula.
Lithium2142
Hello! I haven't touched base in electronics in about a year (only took one course too)

I'm currently working on a project and I'm wondering what the best solution might be to creating a square wave which is 5 milliseconds high, 12 milliseconds low (low as in ground not negative voltage).

This square wave most power an LED from on of those powerful LED flashlights. The LED itself has to be on 5 milliseconds off 12 milliseconds.

What do you think is the best way of doing this? Again really rusty on this stuff... Would a 555 be able to do this? - with a transistor to up the current?

The LED light itself was originally hooked up to 3 AAA batteries (4.5 V total)
and the circuit was a simple Vin -> 0.75 Ohm Resistor (purple -green - silver -gold)-> LED >- ground.

do transistors switch on and off as rapid as I would like? or would they lag behind and not fully drop the voltage or raise it for the LED?

Any other efficient cost effective solutions are welcome. :D
If someone could even provide a schematic I would be indebted to them (or because I know the layout of the 555 - just what values to use) - also.. I sort of forgot how to even use transistors correctly.. or I am using them and I'm just not sure o_O... Pitiful.

thanks,

Lith

Engineering news on Phys.org
Anyone?

from jost looking at these formulas:
[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/a/6/2/a62b875aeb779e3c160ba5eef1de33f5.png[/URL]
[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/5/b/9/5b928ccff98539e6b678d2dd3ca0b553.png[/URL]

It appears you can't have the high value be less then the low one... if the 555 is rigged this way:
[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3d/555_Astable_Diagram.svg/220px-555_Astable_Diagram.svg.png[/URL]

Help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well set aside the formulas for a minute and think about how the 555 works.

the cap charges through both resistors but discharges through only one.

And the 555 inverts, so while cap is low(charging) output is high. That's why high can't be less than low, it charges slower than it discharges. Do formulae agree with that?

I see two ways around your dilemma:

What if you bypassed R2 with a diode/resistor combo to speed up charge time?

What if yu used a second timer (556 is two timers in one package) as an inverter? Tie second one's TRIG and THR together and to first one's OUT, set first one for 5 low 12 high and let second one invert? That'd be more precise because no diode drop in timing circuit.

old jim

Thanks! I'll try the two 555s in the morning (its 2am now -_-)

If it doesn't work out well do you think there are any other alternatives?
I am really looking for cost effective method (if I'm making a bunch but I also want it to be precise).

Would it be possible to use a 741? Just throwing ideas around... the more I play around the more I learn.

Also what is the best way to hook up the LED once I have the square wave I want going?

Thanks again,

Lith

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am also trying to use the least amount of energy possible to run this circuit.

Last edited:
how much current do you want to put through the LED?

Look into LED Drivers madeby TI, National, Linear Technology
they use switching technology for maximum efficiency - remember energy is stored in inductor vs dissipated in a resistor...

Well in my first post i said i got the LED from a LED flashlight being powered by 3 AAA batteries (look back at it for more info). The light was pretty bright though.. 120 Lumens I think?

If I set up the 555s what could I do to get the full power from those batteries to power the LED (again using the square wave) 5 milliseconds on 12 off.

I'm looking up the LED Drivers.

Thanks,

Lith

1. How can a square wave be created with current strong enough to light a powerful LED?

To create a square wave with current strong enough to light a powerful LED, an electronic circuit known as an astable multivibrator can be used. This circuit alternates between two states, resulting in a square wave output.

2. What components are needed to create a square wave with strong enough current for a powerful LED?

The components needed for this circuit include resistors, capacitors, transistors, and a power source. The specific values of these components will depend on the desired frequency and strength of the square wave output.

3. Can any LED be used with this circuit, or does it require a specific type?

The LED used in this circuit must be able to handle the strength of the current produced by the circuit. It is recommended to use a powerful LED specifically designed for high currents.

4. Is it possible to adjust the frequency and strength of the square wave output?

Yes, the frequency and strength of the square wave output can be adjusted by changing the values of the components in the circuit. Lower values for resistors and capacitors will result in a higher frequency and stronger output.

5. Are there any safety considerations when creating a square wave with strong current for an LED?

Yes, it is important to handle high currents with caution and use appropriate safety measures, such as wearing protective gear and ensuring the circuit is properly grounded. It is also important to carefully select and handle the components to prevent any damage or accidents.