Final lifting weight on a static pulley system?

In summary, the person is seeking advice on how to determine the tension in a hoisting winch with a load of 400 kN and a fiber rope. They have found a formula in a locked thread that may be applicable, and they need to also consider the weight of pulleys B and C. The advisor suggests determining the tension in the wire rope at the load end and subtracting any known friction loss in order to lift the exact weight that will produce 400 kN at pulley A.
cherish
Dear Advisor,

I tried to read books and searched all around before posting new topic here... I'm carying out testing a hoisting winch at load 400 kN through a system as in picture.
My problem is that due to fiber rope i only can measure exactly wire tension by a load cell installed through shackle at weight end, so is the formula in locked thread "https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=392239" can be applied in my case to find the friction loss then i will deduct and lift an exactly weight less than 400 kN that will give me tension 400 kN at the end of pulley A, the weight of pulley B and C is pretty heavy also.
Hope someone tell me what should i need to find in this case, thanks very much

Attachments

• syncrolift.jpg
    syncrolift.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 520
Engineering news on Phys.org
.Dear ,Thank you for your question. You will need to determine the tension in the wire rope at the load end of the hoisting winch in order to know how much weight you can lift. The formula in the locked thread you linked should be applicable to your situation. If the friction loss is known, you can subtract it from the 400 kN force and lift the exact weight that produces 400 kN at pulley A. Be sure to also account for the weight of the pulleys B and C when determining the tension in the wire rope. I hope this helps. Best of luck.[Advisor Name]

What is a static pulley system?

A static pulley system is a simple machine that consists of a rope or cable wrapped around a wheel or axle, with one end attached to a fixed point and the other end attached to a load. It is used to lift or move heavy objects by reducing the amount of force needed.

How does a static pulley system work?

In a static pulley system, the load is balanced by the tension in the rope on both sides of the pulley. This means that the amount of force needed to lift the load is divided between the number of ropes supporting the load. The more ropes used, the less force is required to lift the load.

What factors affect the final lifting weight on a static pulley system?

The final lifting weight on a static pulley system is affected by the number of ropes supporting the load, the angle of the ropes, and the weight of the pulley itself. The weight of the load and the force applied to lift it also play a role in determining the final lifting weight.

How can I determine the final lifting weight on a static pulley system?

To determine the final lifting weight on a static pulley system, you can use the formula: final lifting weight = (input force / number of ropes) - weight of the pulley. This will give you the weight that the system can lift, not including the weight of the ropes themselves.

What are some common uses for a static pulley system?

Static pulley systems are commonly used in various industries, such as construction, manufacturing, and transportation, to lift and move heavy objects. They are also used in rock climbing and sailing to hoist and lower equipment. In everyday life, they can be found in simple machines like window blinds and flagpoles.