Quick Question - Moments about a force

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the resultant force about a given point and the moments of the resultant force about that point. To find the resultant force, the position vectors from the given point to each force are multiplied by their magnitudes and added together. For the second part, a point on the line of action of the resultant force is needed and the moment is calculated using the position vector of that point and the resultant force.
jmcmillian
Hi there, quick conceptual question just to make sure I know what I am doing...

I am given two forces, F1 and F2, in vector form with given magnitudes.

(I) Find the resultant force about point P (given).
(II) I am also asked to find the Moments of the resultant force about point P.

(I) I establish position vectors from P to each point (I'll call it A for F1 and B for F2) and multiply by magnitudes. Then add to get the resultant force about P.

(II) Then for the second part, I cross my resultant force about P with the "r" for the resultant force, which would be the distance between F1 and F2 from P?

It's that last sentence where you can see I'm unclear at. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the forces are given in vector forms, i.e., the i, j, k components are given, just add them to get the resultant. Resultant force about a point does not mean anything. For finding the resultant, you need not multiply anything.

For the 2nd part, you have to find a point on the line of action of the resultant. If posn vector of that pt is r wrt to origin O, then the moment about P is (rOP) X R, where OP is the posn vector of pt P, and R is the resultant.

Hi there,

It seems like you are on the right track with your approach to finding the resultant force about point P. To clarify, the position vectors you establish from P to each point (A and B) should be the distance and direction from P to each force, not just the magnitude. Then, you can use vector addition to find the resultant force about P.

For the second part, you are correct that you need to use the cross product to find the moment of the resultant force about point P. The "r" vector should be the distance and direction from point P to the line of action of the resultant force, which can be found by drawing a perpendicular line from P to the line of action of the resultant force.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy calculating!

Related to Quick Question - Moments about a force

1. What is a moment about a force?

A moment about a force, also known as a torque, is a measure of the tendency of a force to cause an object to rotate about a specific point or axis.

2. How is the moment about a force calculated?

The moment about a force can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the force to the axis of rotation.

3. What is the unit of measurement for a moment about a force?

The unit of measurement for a moment about a force is typically Newton-meters (Nm) in the International System of Units (SI) or foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the US customary system.

4. Can moments about a force be positive or negative?

Yes, moments about a force can be positive or negative depending on the direction of the rotation. A positive moment produces a counterclockwise rotation, while a negative moment produces a clockwise rotation.

5. What are some real-life applications of moments about a force?

Moments about a force are used in many everyday objects and activities, such as opening a door, using a wrench to turn a bolt, or pushing a lever to lift a heavy load. They are also important in engineering and physics for understanding the stability and balance of structures and machines.