Is it Possible to Study Architecture in 4 Years and What Steps Should I Take?

• Thread starter jjuugg
  • Start date
In summary, the person is a high school junior interested in becoming an architect and is looking for good architecture colleges in Virginia. They are also unsure of the steps needed to become an architect and the differences between landscape architect and regular architect. They also ask about the types of architects and if they can double major in interior design and architecture. The expert suggests Virginia Tech as an option for an architecture program and explains the process of becoming an architect, which includes obtaining a professional degree and gaining experience before taking licensing exams. They also advise against trying to graduate in 4 years and suggest seeking advice from a specific architecture forum.
jjuugg
I want to be an architect!

Hello! I live in U.S., VA.

I'm a high school junior right now,,,

So i was wandering is there a good architecture college, except for UVA, in VA.

I've been researching,,, and most of the colleges in VA seems to not have a major

in architecture..

Most of the good architecture colleges seems to be at upper regions.

What should I be doing? @.@

I'm so knowledgeless(? if that makes any sense..><).

What steps are there to become and architect?

Also, what's the difference between landscape architect, and just architect?
(if there is any difference)

Also, also,,what types of architects are there?
and ,

are interior design major and architecture major, totally different?

Will i be able to double major on them??

thank you for reading my awkward(?) questions~><

also!also,,is there anyway that i could graduate architecture school in 4 years??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Virginia Tech has an architecture program. I'm not familiar with other VA colleges.

To become an architect, you need a professional degree in architecture first. You can accomplish this by getting a Bachelor's of Architecture OR a Master's of Architecture. B.Arch is a 5 year program. If you don't want to commit to that right away, you can get an undergrad degree in the area of your choice and apply for a M.Arch program afterwards. Those take 2 to 3 years if I'm not mistaken. Note that a Bachelor's in Science in Architectural Studies is not the same as a B.Arch.

After you get your degree, you start working as an intern architect. After about 5 years of experience, you qualify to take the ARE, which is a series of licensing exams. After passing all of those, then you can call yourself an architect.

And no, you cannot get a B.Arch in 4 years (not as far as I know).

Hey,

First of all I'll answer your last question - If there is, try and avoid it! the more time you spend on education the more likely you are to be skilled in your chosen path. Also university is a great time in your life and there is nothing wrong with prolonging it!

Secondly, maybe you should try a specific architecture forum to address this question too as there is likely to be more people who can offer you the kind of advice you seek. Try: designcommunity.com/discussion.html for instance, or Google.

Best wishes and good luck.

1. What is the educational path to becoming an architect?

The educational path to becoming an architect typically includes obtaining a Bachelor’s degree in architecture, completing a professional Master’s degree, and gaining practical experience through internships or apprenticeships.

2. What skills are necessary to be a successful architect?

Successful architects possess a combination of design skills, technical knowledge, problem-solving abilities, creativity, and attention to detail. Good communication and project management skills are also essential.

3. What types of projects do architects work on?

Architects work on a variety of projects including residential, commercial, institutional, and industrial buildings. They may also work on urban planning and landscape design projects.

4. Is licensure required to practice as an architect?

Yes, licensure is required to practice as an architect in most states. This involves completing a professional degree program, gaining practical experience, and passing the Architect Registration Examination.

5. What is the job outlook for architects?

The job outlook for architects is favorable, with a projected growth rate of 8% from 2018-2028. The demand for sustainable and energy-efficient design is expected to drive this growth.