What is the importance of the General GRE for grad school admissions?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's plans to apply to top graduate schools, their concerns about the General GRE, and their academic background and qualifications. They are worried about their English skills affecting their GRE score and their chances of getting into top schools. Other participants in the conversation assure them that their strong academic background and research experience will greatly benefit their applications.
tim_lou
I'll be applying to grad school next year. I'm slightly worried about the General GRE.

Although it might sound superficial, my goal is to become a high energy theorist. So I'd like to apply to some top grad school like Princeton and what not.

I have quite a solid background, I've done research the past 2 years, first one is a REU regarding a medium ion accelerator, the second one is with the high energy group in my university (mainly coding). I'll try to get into somewhere again next summer.

By the time I am graduated, I'll have finished a standard undergraduate curriculum, a couple graduate courses (the quantum fields sequence, GR, and a couple other courses). I'll also have had some math background (the standard stuffs, topology, analysis and maybe more next year). My GPA is expected to be quite high. Right now it's 4.0 (there is no A+ in my university so the maximum is A).

I talked to a couple people and I think realistically, there are some decent chances for getting into top graduate schools. However, I've heard that they will throw away applications with low general GRE score.

I'm not a native English speaker and my vocabularies aren't that good at all. I may very well score poorly on the General GRE. I've practiced on some physics GRE material and I should do fine in that case.

So, how much can a General GRE hurt me? what kind of score do I need? what are my chances (realistically speaking) of getting into top schools given that I do well in General GRE? and what if I do poorly on it? Any comment is welcome. Feel free to bash me if what I think is wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Probably as you are a Physics student they will expect the quantitative section of your General GRE to be high (700-800).

From what I've read in this board the Physics GRE is way more important than the General GRE for the committee.

Good luck!

You should do well on the quantitative portion of the general GRE e.g. 25% of students who go on to earn math PhDs score perfect on this section.

I don't think a bad verbal GRE will stop you from going to these top schools, as long as your have good letters of recommendation. You should practice your english though, since it is not uncommon for grad schools to advise you to take easy classes (that would be a review for you) until your english gets better.

4.0 GPA, grad courses, research experience...I'd say your chances are extremely good of getting into some top grad schools.

Thanks for the comforting comments. I tend to get extra anxious about certain issues. I guess I don't need to cram that 3000 word list in the near future.

Well if you have a hard time getting into good grad schools, I'm going to have to start getting very worried myself...

I think you might be confusing measurement and ability. If your English is poor, work on improving it. It will help you with your entire career, not just this one test.

What is the General GRE?

The General GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is a standardized test used for graduate school admissions in the United States. It measures a student's verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing skills.

Who is required to take the General GRE?

Most graduate schools in the United States require applicants to take the General GRE. This includes both domestic and international students.

What is the format of the General GRE?

The General GRE consists of three sections: Verbal Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning, and Analytical Writing. The Verbal and Quantitative sections are multiple choice, while the Analytical Writing section requires students to write essays.

How long is the General GRE?

The total testing time for the General GRE is approximately 3 hours and 45 minutes, with a 10-minute break in between sections. The Verbal and Quantitative sections are 30 minutes each, and the Analytical Writing section is 60 minutes.

What is a good score on the General GRE?

The General GRE is scored on a scale of 130-170 for the Verbal and Quantitative sections, and 0-6 for the Analytical Writing section. A good score varies depending on the program and school, but a score above 150 for Verbal and Quantitative and a 4 or above for Analytical Writing is generally considered competitive.