Why can't we just use one theory for everything?

• Thread starter uperkurk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary: Similarly, in space, thinking of light as being massless is good enough, because it gives the correct results for things such as throwing a rock off a cliff or orbiting a planet. However, for things like black holes, where the mass of the black hole is so large that it outweighs the mass of everything else in the vicinity, thinking of light as being massless is not good enough, because the force of gravity is far too strong for nothing to be pulling on the light. You need to use General Relativity to get the correct result.
uperkurk
0f36df929ac9d711a8ba8c5658c3bfee.png

I don't really understand this formula but if light has no mass, then how comes a black hole can pull it in?

[itex]F=G\frac{MassLight\times MassWormhole}{WormholeRadius^2} = G\frac{0}{WormholeRadius^2}= 0[/itex]

My question is if light experiences no gravitational force wherever it is in the universe, why can a wormhole pull it in?

I know you guys probably get stupid questions like this all the time but my mind often wonders into things I don't understand.

Hope someone can clear up my ill thinking.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I just found on the forums it's due to GR and the fact that the space-time itself is bent so light isn't actually being pulled due to the sheer gravitational force of the wormhole but because space-time is curved.

Pretty neat really

uperkurk said:
0f36df929ac9d711a8ba8c5658c3bfee.png

I don't really understand this formula but if light has no mass, then how comes a black hole can pull it in?

[itex]F=G\frac{MassLight\times MassWormhole}{WormholeRadius^2} = G\frac{0}{WormholeRadius^2}= 0[/itex]

My question is if light experiences no gravitational force wherever it is in the universe, why can a wormhole pull it in?

There is a gravitational deflection of light in classical mechanics:

[itex]F = G \cdot \frac{{M \cdot m }}{{r^2 }} = m \cdot a[/itex]

[itex]a = G \cdot \frac{M}{{r^2 }}[/itex]

As light is not massless in classical mechanics this works for photons without problems and due to

[itex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{m \to 0} \frac{m}{m} = 1[/itex]

it could also be used for massless objects.

However, the results does not fit to reality. (e.g. the deflection of light in the gravitational field of the Sun is double as high) You can't use Newton's law of gravity for light or black holes. General relativity must be used to get the correct results.

Last edited:
How is it possible that in one field of physics light is massless but in another it isn't? How can you guys just chop and change things like that?

uperkurk said:
How is it possible that in one field of physics light is massless but in another it isn't? How can you guys just chop and change things like that?

1. There are different theories for light.
2. There are different definitions of mass.

uperkurk said:
According to Newton's second law, how much force is required to accelerate a massless object?

Of course, the real answer requires relativity. Newtonian physics doesn't treat massless particles correctly. But the point is that you need to think about your premise a bit and see if it makes sense.

uperkurk said:

I think the answer is that one theory is correct in all instances that we're discussing (Relativity), while another is correct in only some instances (Newton). Ideally we would just use Relativity for everything, but Newton's theory is much simpler and easier to use...so we only use Relativity when we really really have to. The key is knowing when that is.

As an example, we all know that the Earth is round. Nevertheless, for everyday basic tasks such as walking around, throwing a ball, etc, thinking of the Earth as being flat is good enough, because accounting for the curvature of the Earth will give you practically the same result, but with a much larger headache.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards each other. It is the fundamental force that governs the motion of objects in the universe, including the Earth and other celestial bodies.

2. How does gravity affect distance?

Gravity is inversely proportional to distance, meaning that the force between two objects decreases as the distance between them increases. This is known as the inverse square law, and it explains why objects feel lighter as they move away from the Earth's surface.

3. What are the units of measurement for gravity?

The standard unit of measurement for gravity is meters per second squared (m/s²). This represents the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s² on Earth.

4. How does gravity work in space?

In space, gravity still exists but it is much weaker than on Earth due to the larger distances between objects. In the absence of other forces, objects in space will follow a curved path around larger objects due to the gravitational pull.

5. Can gravity be manipulated or controlled?

As of now, scientists have not discovered a way to manipulate or control gravity. However, there are ongoing research and theories about the possibility of manipulating gravity through advanced technologies in the future.