Dipole Electric Field Drop: Understanding 1/r^3 Decay

In summary, the electric field due to a dipole decreases as the distance between the charges increases.
staetualex
Hy, i am back with my annoying questions about this and that. Could everyone tell me why the frigging dipole have an electric field that drops with 1/r^3? i mean, if i am far away , i should feel no electric field, you know, q2 = -q1 , so they cancel, but i feel (q1 q2 k)/r^3.What the HECK?

Physics news on Phys.org

Why do you say "you know, [itex]q_2 = q_1[/itex] , so they cancel"? The field due to one pole depends on 1/r2 and the two distances are not the same so while [itex]q_2- q_1= 0[/itex], [itex]q_2/r_2^2- q_1/r_1^2[/itex]] is not 0. It true that because of the equal charges in the denominator, that will drop off faster than just [itex]1/r^2[/itex]- which is exactly what [itex]1/r^3[/itex] does.

well, dipole have 2 charges equal but opposite. if i am far away, and i am a proton, i feel the force of a charge pushing me with a force equal x, but i also feel a force attracting me also of x magnitude. but the dipole's formula states that i should feel q1 x q2 x k divided by distance cubed. I am confused

HallsofIvy already explained it pretty well. The close proximity of the opposite charges changes the normal field equation. In the near field, we take the summation of the fields from the two charges, but in the far-field, the two charges can be approximated as a single dipole moment. This simplifies the math and introduces little error, the cancellation effect is shown in the fact that the dipole moment drops off as 1/r^3 here instead of 1/r^2.

Consider the potential (just take the gradient (times -1) to get the force):

[itex]V(r)=kq(\frac{1}{r_{+}}-\frac{1}{r_{-}}[/itex] if we apply cosine law and take d as the distance between the two charges and r as the distance from the point exactly between the two charges to somewhere in the distance we get [itex]r_{\pm}^2=r^2+(\frac{d}{2})^2+2 r d cos \theta / 2 = r^2(1+\frac{d}{r}cos \theta + \frac{d^2}{4r^2})[/itex] now if r is much greater than d then we neglect the d^2/r^2 term and get (with some reworking) [itex]\frac{1}{r_{\pm}}=\frac{1}{r}(1 \pm \frac{d}{2r}cos \theta)[/itex] so we have [itex]\frac{1}{r_{+}}-\frac{1}{r_{-}}\approx \frac{d}{r^2}cos \theta [/itex] so, finally, we have in the limit that r >> d V(r) is approximately [itex]qk\frac{cos \theta}{r^2}[/itex]. Take the grad of that and you have a 1/r^3 relation.

FAQ: Dipole Electric Field Drop: Understanding 1/r^3 Decay

What is a dipole?

A dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance. This configuration creates an electric field that is strongest at the poles and decreases in strength as you move away from the dipole.

How is the field of a dipole calculated?

The field of a dipole can be calculated using the formula E = (1/4πε0) [(2p/r3) - (p/r2)] where E is the electric field, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, p is the dipole moment, and r is the distance from the center of the dipole.

Is the field of a dipole uniform?

No, the field of a dipole is not uniform. It is strongest at the poles and decreases in strength as you move away from the dipole. The field lines also curve towards the poles, creating a non-uniform distribution.

Can the direction of the dipole affect the field?

Yes, the direction of the dipole does affect the field. The field lines will point from the positive to the negative charge, creating a different orientation of the field depending on the direction of the dipole.

What are some real-life examples of dipoles?

Some real-life examples of dipoles include a water molecule (with the oxygen atom being slightly negative and the hydrogen atoms being slightly positive), a bar magnet, and an electric dipole antenna used in radio communication.

Back