A.C. Circuits: Graphs & Voltage/Current Curves

In summary, the graph of current and voltage in an A.C. circuit can vary depending on the units used. The ratio of voltage to current for capacitors and inductors depends on the frequency and can be represented by V/I = -j/wC and V/I = +jwL, respectively. Additionally, the current in a capacitor is shifted by 90 degrees and is dependent on frequency, capacitance, and voltage.
uzair_ha91
A.C. Circuits -- Graphs

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5782/image64.jpg
In this graph, the curve of current is larger than that of voltage...but in some books the voltage curve is above the current curve (like the one below)...Which one's correct?
ACcap.GIF

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

It's arbitrary. You are shown a graph with two curves of different units.

So basically it doesn't matter if you drew both curves of same height, right?

uzair_ha91 said:
So basically it doesn't matter if you drew both curves of same height, right?

It doesn't matter, you can scale the y-axis to any size.

For capacitors, The ratio of voltage to current at a frequency f (where f = w/(2 pi) where w is the frequency in radians per second), is

V/I = -j/wC (where the j indicates a 90 degree phase shift). For an inductance:

V/I = +jwL

So for any given C or L, the ratio V/I depends on frequency.

Bob S said:
For capacitors, The ratio of voltage to current at a frequency f (where f = w/(2 pi) where w is the frequency in radians per second), is

V/I = -j/wC (where the j indicates a 90 degree phase shift). For an inductance:

V/I = +jwL

So for any given C or L, the ratio V/I depends on frequency.

I'm sorry I don't understand what you are trying to explain..

Hi Usair-

Suppose I have a capacitor C and I put a voltage V on it at frequency f.

The current in it is given by I = (2 pi f) C V. But the phase of the current is shifted by 90 degrees. So we use the short-hand notoation j, so that

I = j (2 pi f C) V

This is because of the equation for charge on a capacitor is

Q = C V

Now suppose V = V0 sin(wt) where w = 2 pi f

Then I = dQ/dt = C dV/dt = w C V0 cos(wt)

So there is a 90 degree phase shift (betwen the sine and cosine), and the amplitude of I depends on frequency f, as well as on C and V0.

I hope this helps

Bob S

1. What is an A.C. circuit?

An A.C. (alternating current) circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which the current constantly changes direction. This is in contrast to a D.C. (direct current) circuit, where the current flows in only one direction. A.C. circuits are commonly used in household and industrial electrical systems.

2. What is the difference between a voltage graph and a current graph?

A voltage graph shows the variation of voltage over time in an A.C. circuit, while a current graph shows the variation of current over time. Both graphs follow a sinusoidal pattern, but the voltage graph is shifted 90 degrees ahead of the current graph.

3. How do you read a voltage/current curve?

To read a voltage/current curve, you must first determine the scale of the graph. Then, locate the points on the graph where the voltage or current values intersect with the time axis. These points represent the peak values of the voltage and current in the circuit. The distance between these points and the origin of the graph shows the amplitude of the voltage and current.

4. What is the importance of A.C. circuit analysis using graphs?

A.C. circuit analysis using graphs allows us to visualize the changes in voltage and current over time, which can help in understanding the behavior of electrical circuits. It also helps in determining important parameters such as amplitude, frequency, and phase shift in A.C. circuits.

5. How do you calculate the frequency of an A.C. circuit from a voltage/current curve?

The frequency of an A.C. circuit can be calculated by finding the time period of the waveform shown on the voltage/current curve. The time period is the time it takes for one complete cycle of the waveform, and it is equal to the reciprocal of the frequency. Therefore, the frequency can be calculated by taking the inverse of the time period.