Download very large files from the Internet

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of downloading large files with a slow network speed and the issue of files being deleted after reboot on a subcomputer. The solution proposed is to use a download manager with pause and resume capabilities, and to set the downloading location as a USB. However, the process would need to be repeated after each computer reset. Alternatively, a download manager like Bitcomet could be used to automatically continue downloads after a computer reboot.
exportedhuman
I sometimes have to download very large files from the Internet
my company network speed is not too fast to finish downloading them within one or two hours.
As a subcomputer, everything in my computer once stored on desktop will be deleted after reboot.

I am thinking if there is a way to download half a hugh file then store it, the next day when I am online I will continue for the other half.

Thank you

Computer science news on Phys.org

Plug-in the usb, use a download manager that supports download pausing and resuming.
When you going to download that huge file, set downloading location as your usb.

When you pause your download, your download chunk will stay at your usb, next time you resume it, it will continue downloading.

But everytime that computer gets reset, you have to set your Download Manager's download location to your usb, and click the download link again.

or you could look for a download manager which does the work for you...like bitcomet (used for downloading torrents)...shutting down your computer and booting it does not restart your download, it continues it from where you finished...

What are the best practices for downloading very large files from the Internet?

When downloading very large files from the Internet, there are a few best practices to keep in mind. First, make sure you have a stable and fast internet connection. It is also recommended to use a download manager or accelerator software to help with the download process. Additionally, it is important to clear your cache and temporary files before starting the download to avoid any potential issues.

How can I ensure the safety of downloading large files from the Internet?

To ensure the safety of downloading large files from the Internet, it is important to only download files from trusted and reputable sources. Be cautious of downloading files from unknown or suspicious websites, as they could potentially contain viruses or malware. It is also recommended to use antivirus software to scan the downloaded file before opening it.

What is the maximum file size that can be downloaded from the Internet?

There is no specific maximum file size for downloading from the Internet, as it depends on various factors such as your internet speed, the website's server capacity, and your device's storage capacity. However, most browsers and download managers have a limit of 2GB per file.

How can I manage the download process for very large files?

Downloading very large files can take a significant amount of time and can also disrupt your internet usage for other tasks. To manage the download process, you can use a download manager that allows you to pause, resume, and schedule downloads according to your needs. This can also help prevent any interruptions in the download process.

Are there any alternatives to downloading very large files from the Internet?

In some cases, downloading very large files from the Internet may not be the most efficient or practical option. An alternative solution could be to use a file transfer protocol (FTP) client, which allows for faster and more secure transfers of large files. Another option is to use a cloud-based storage service, such as Google Drive or Dropbox, to upload and share the file with others.