Force of a propellor in fluid

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the user is seeking help with calculating the necessary force exerted on a propellor used in a fall arrest device. They have a reel that spins at 60 RPM, and need to work out the torque and force of the propellor to provide a resistance of 981 N. They have not yet attempted a solution and are unsure of which equations to use. The suggested equations are F=m.a, T=f.d, and F=μA(v1-v2). Each paddle on the propellor will need to exert a force equal to the total force needed divided by the number of paddles.
tommy060289

Homework Statement

Dear physics forum users, I have a bit of a question about using a propellor to provide resistance. I am looking at designs for fall arrest devices and one idea I've looked at is using a propellor connected to a reel so that when the reel is unwound the propellor spins and is resisted by the fluid. The only thing is I'm not really sure on how to go about calculating the force exerted on the propellors. I know that we have a reel that is is spinning at roughly 60 RPM and the reel is connected to directly to the propeller so will spin at the same speed. However. what I need to do is work out how big my paddles on the propeller would need to be to provide a force equal to 981 N. Would it be best to use the force to work out the torque on the connecting shaft, and then work out the torque of the propeller? I am not really sure how to work out the second bit. let's assume the propellor has three paddles facing perpendicular to the fluid to give maximum surface area. How much force would each paddle exert on the fluid, if we had a fairly viscous fluid such as a motor oil with 0.3 Pa.s

Homework Equations

Not really sure what to use, obviously we have the basics of:

F=m.a
T=f.d

The Attempt at a Solution

Havn't got this far yet...

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question regarding using a propellor to provide resistance in a fall arrest device. This is an interesting idea and I would be happy to help you calculate the necessary force exerted on the propellor.

To start, we can use the equation F=m.a to calculate the force needed to provide a resistance of 981 N. Since we know the mass of the object that needs to be arrested, we can rearrange the equation to solve for acceleration (a). This will give us an idea of how quickly the object will need to decelerate in order to stop safely.

Once we have the acceleration, we can use the equation T=f.d to calculate the torque on the connecting shaft. This torque will need to be equal to the torque of the propellor in order to provide the necessary force. To calculate the torque of the propellor, we can use the equation T=r x F, where r is the radius of the propellor and F is the force exerted by each paddle.

To determine the force exerted by each paddle, we can use the equation F=μA(v1-v2), where μ is the viscosity of the fluid, A is the surface area of the paddle, and (v1-v2) is the velocity difference between the fluid and the paddle. Since you mentioned a fairly viscous fluid, we can use the given viscosity of 0.3 Pa.s to calculate the force.

Finally, we can divide the total force needed by the number of paddles on the propellor to determine the force exerted by each paddle. From there, we can calculate the necessary size of the paddles to provide this force.

I hope this helps you in your calculations. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your design!

What is the force of a propellor in fluid?

The force of a propellor in fluid is the amount of thrust generated by the propellor as it moves through a fluid, such as air or water. This force is responsible for propelling the object attached to the propellor forward.

How is the force of a propellor in fluid calculated?

The force of a propellor in fluid is calculated using the equation F = ρAv², where F is the force, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the area of the propellor, and v is the velocity of the fluid.

What factors affect the force of a propellor in fluid?

The force of a propellor in fluid is affected by several factors, including the design and shape of the propellor, the density and viscosity of the fluid, and the speed at which the propellor is rotating.

How does the force of a propellor in fluid change with speed?

The force of a propellor in fluid increases with speed, as the velocity of the fluid increases and creates more thrust. However, at a certain point, the force may reach a maximum and then decrease as the propellor reaches its limit of generating thrust.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the force of a propellor in fluid?

Understanding the force of a propellor in fluid is important in various fields, such as aviation, marine engineering, and hydrodynamics. It is used to design more efficient propellors for boats and aircraft, as well as to optimize the performance of turbines and other fluid-driven machinery.