PDE with an inequality constrain

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an elliptic PDE, specifically Δu - k * u = 0, subject to the constraint 0≤ u(x,y) ≤ 1.0, with k being a positive constant. The usual approach is separation of variables to obtain a general solution, but with only bounds instead of specific boundary conditions, there may be multiple solutions. The problem is then how to formulate the PDE with inequality constraints, and a suggestion is made to replace u with a function that satisfies the range constraint.
BlackTulip
Hi everybody,

For part of my research, I need to solve an elliptic PDE like:

Δu - k * u = 0,

subject to : 0≤ u(x,y) ≤ 1.0

where k is a positive constant.

Can anyone tell me how I can solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean ∇2u - k*u = 0?

Well, the usual approach is separation of variables to obtain a general solution. Normally one has completely specified boundary conditions, whereas you only have bounds, so there will be multiple solutions, and its not obvious how to characterise those that satisfy the bounds. Is that where you're stuck?

I do have some Dirichlet boundary conditions. My problem is that how to formulate this PDE with some inequality constraints. Do you have a suggestion for that?

Thanks for your attention.

No idea if this is feasible, but how if you were to replace u by a function that could only be in that range, e.g. substitute u = exp(-v2)? Tricky part might be finding such a substitution that still allows you to solve the PDE.

1. What is a PDE with an inequality constraint?

A PDE with an inequality constraint is a type of partial differential equation (PDE) that involves an inequality instead of an equality. This means that the solution to the PDE must satisfy a certain condition or restriction in addition to the equation itself.

2. How is a PDE with an inequality constraint different from a regular PDE?

A regular PDE has an equality constraint, meaning that the solution must satisfy the equation exactly. In contrast, a PDE with an inequality constraint has an additional restriction on the solution, making it more challenging to solve.

3. What are some examples of PDEs with inequality constraints?

Examples of PDEs with inequality constraints include the heat equation with a lower bound on the temperature, the wave equation with a maximum amplitude constraint, and the Navier-Stokes equations with a non-slip boundary condition.

4. How are PDEs with inequality constraints solved?

PDEs with inequality constraints can be solved using various numerical methods, such as finite difference, finite element, or spectral methods. These methods involve discretizing the PDE and using iterative algorithms to find a solution that satisfies both the equation and the constraint.

5. Why are PDEs with inequality constraints important in scientific research?

PDEs with inequality constraints are important in many areas of scientific research, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They allow for more realistic modeling of physical phenomena and can lead to more accurate and useful solutions. Additionally, the techniques used to solve these types of PDEs have practical applications in fields such as optimization and control theory.