Generic Solution of a Coupled System of 2nd Order PDEs

In summary, the conversation discusses a mechanical problem that can be represented by a set of second-order partial differential equations (PDEs). The goal is to find the generic solutions for the functions u(x,y) and v(x,y), with A, B, and C being constants. The problem is linear, so separable solutions can be used. It is suggested to set u = Ue^{kx + ly} and v = Ve^{kx + ly} to get an eigenvalue problem for k and l. This problem can also be factorized and solved using methods such as Laplace transform or Fourier transform.
derya
TL;DR Summary
We are looking for the generic solution of this coupled system of 2nd order PDEs.
Hi! I am looking into a mechanical problem which reduces to the set of PDE's below. I would be very happy if you could help me with it.

I have the following set of second order PDE's that I want to solve. I want to solve for the generic solutions of the functions u(x,y) and v(x,y). A, B and C are constants, and (if it helps) A, B > 0.
pde.PNG

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
It's linear, so you can try looking for separable solutions. If you set [itex]u = Ue^{kx + ly}[/itex] and [itex]v = Ve^{kx + ly}[/itex] then you get the following eigenvalue problem for [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]l[/itex]:
[tex]
k^4(1 + B^2C) + k^2 l^2 (2 + C(A^2 + B^2)) + l^4(1 + A^2C) = 0.[/tex]

EDIT: This factorises as [tex]
(k^2 + l^2)(k^2(1 + CB^2) + l^2(1 + CA^2)) = 0.[/tex]

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes etotheipi
Laplace transform; Fourier transform...

Last edited:

1. What is a coupled system of 2nd order PDEs?

A coupled system of 2nd order PDEs (partial differential equations) is a set of two or more equations that are interconnected and involve second-order derivatives with respect to multiple variables. These equations are typically used to model physical systems with multiple interacting components.

2. What is a generic solution?

A generic solution refers to a general solution that applies to a wide range of problems or situations. In the context of a coupled system of 2nd order PDEs, a generic solution would be a solution that can be applied to a variety of systems with different parameters and initial conditions.

3. How is a coupled system of 2nd order PDEs solved?

Solving a coupled system of 2nd order PDEs involves using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or numerical methods to find a solution that satisfies all of the equations in the system. This can be a complex and time-consuming process, especially for systems with nonlinear equations.

4. What are some real-world applications of a coupled system of 2nd order PDEs?

Coupled systems of 2nd order PDEs have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Some examples include modeling heat transfer in materials, analyzing fluid dynamics in pipes and channels, and studying the behavior of electrical circuits.

5. What are the challenges of solving a coupled system of 2nd order PDEs?

One of the main challenges of solving a coupled system of 2nd order PDEs is the complexity of the equations and the interdependence of the variables. This can make it difficult to find an analytical solution, and numerical methods may be required. Additionally, the system may have multiple solutions or no solution at all, which can further complicate the problem.