What does quantities and dimensions mean?

In summary, quantities are physical properties that can be measured and are expressed in units. Dimensions refer to specific aspects of a quantity, such as length or height. Two quantities can have the same dimensions but different units of measurement. This is similar to how a person's height can be measured in inches or centimeters, but the dimension of height remains the same. Different unit systems can be used to express the same dimensions.
elton_fan
i would like to ask a question about what does quantities and dimension mean in this sentence
is it possible for two quantities to have the same dimensions but different units?

thanks a lot in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
elton_fan said:
i would like to ask a question about what does quantities and dimension mean in this sentence
is it possible for two quantities to have the same dimensions but different units?

thanks a lot in advance

A physical quantity is something that can be measured, for example, velocity, force, etc. The quantity is expressed in units, which are not to be confused with the term 'dimension'. The term 'dimension' needn't be used, actually.

"Length" is an example of a dimension. The "meter" is an example of a unit, one that can be used to express lengths.

- Warren

so for example what would be the answer of this question?
i think it's yes
it's true

Last edited:
elton_fan said:
so for example what would be the answer of this question?

I'll answer your question with a question. How tall are you in inches? How tall are you in centimeters? Your height dimension is the same, no matter what units you use to express that height.

Think of a particular shipping box. It has linear dimensions of length, width and height. And those dimensions can be measured using various unit systems.

thanks a lot i understand now

1. What is the difference between quantities and dimensions?

Quantities refer to measurements or numerical values, while dimensions refer to the physical units used to measure those quantities. For example, length is a quantity and meters is a dimension.

2. How are quantities and dimensions related?

Quantities and dimensions are closely related, as dimensions are used to measure quantities. In order to accurately represent a quantity, both the numerical value and the corresponding dimension must be specified.

3. What is the importance of understanding quantities and dimensions in science?

Quantities and dimensions play a crucial role in scientific research and experimentation. They allow for precise and consistent measurement, which is essential for making accurate observations and drawing valid conclusions.

4. Can quantities and dimensions be converted between different systems of measurement?

Yes, quantities and dimensions can be converted between different systems of measurement as long as the conversion factor is known. For example, length can be converted from meters to feet by multiplying by a conversion factor of 3.28.

5. Are there any common mistakes made when dealing with quantities and dimensions?

One common mistake is forgetting to include the correct dimension when stating a quantity. This can lead to confusion and incorrect calculations. Another mistake is using the wrong conversion factor when converting between systems of measurement, resulting in incorrect values.