Why can I hear myself through my cellphone?

• Thread starter springBreeze
  • Start date
In summary, the phenomenon of hearing yourself through your cellphone when talking to a friend is caused by a feedback loop created by the sound from the speaker being picked up by the microphone. The solution to eliminating this phenomenon is to turn off the speakerphone feature or adjust the position of the phone to prevent the sound from being reflected back into the microphone. Alternatively, the person you are talking to may need to adjust their phone to prevent the echo from occurring.
springBreeze
Why can I occasionally hear myself through my cellphone when I'm talking to a friend? My own voice from the phone is just as loud as my friend's some of the time. How can I eliminate this phenomenon?

Physics news on Phys.org
springBreeze said:
Why can I occasionally hear myself through my cellphone when I'm talking to a friend? My own voice from the phone is just as loud as my friend's some of the time. How can I eliminate this phenomenon?
Turn off your speakerphone feature.

It sounds to me like you're creating a feedback loop. Basically this happens when the sounds coming out of the speaker is being reflected back into the microphone (which in turn boosts the sound coming out of the speaker which causes even more to be picked up by the microphone and so on). Just try adjusting the position of the phone or if you're using some sort of handless set make sure the microphone portion is not in the path of the speaker portion

Neither of these explanations are satisfactory; turbo-1, you have given a necessary but insufficient condition for terminating the self-echo (i.e. I doubt springBreeze has their speakerphone on, or at least I have had this phenomenon happen to me without the speaker phone on). Maverick, the effect you have described does not apply to this mystery because a necessary precondition for such a feedback loop to form is that my voice come out of my phone's speaker, and so if this were the explanation then the effect would precede the cause.

Examination of Maverick's hypothesis shows that the echo could be due to your voice coming out of the speaker of the phone of the person you are talking to and entering their microphone, thus being sent back to your earpiece. I'm sure this is what he/she meant to describe. If this is the cause of the echo then the problem cannot be solved by adjusting the position of your phone, but rather must be solved by the person you are talking to having to adjust their phone.

1. Why is there an echo when I talk through my cellphone?

The echo you hear when talking through your cellphone is due to a phenomenon called acoustic feedback. This occurs when the sound from the speaker of your phone is picked up by the microphone, creating a loop of sound that results in an echo.

2. Can I prevent the echo on my cellphone?

Yes, there are a few ways to prevent the echo on your cellphone. First, make sure your phone is not on speaker mode, as this can increase the chances of acoustic feedback. You can also try using a headset or moving to a quieter location to reduce background noise that may contribute to the echo.

3. Why does the echo only happen sometimes?

The echo on your cellphone may only happen in certain situations because it is dependent on the environment and sound levels. For example, if you are in a noisy area, the echo may be more prominent because the microphone is picking up more background noise.

4. Is the echo harmful to my health?

No, the echo on your cellphone is not harmful to your health. It is simply a result of the technology and can be easily prevented by adjusting your phone settings or using a headset.

5. Can the echo be fixed by changing my phone settings?

Yes, changing your phone settings can help reduce or eliminate the echo on your cellphone. You can try adjusting the volume, switching off speaker mode, or using a noise-cancelling feature if your phone has one. If the echo persists, it may be a sign of a technical issue with your phone and you may need to contact your service provider for assistance.