Calculation of torque of a DC motor

In summary, a user is asking for help with calculating the torque of a DC motor with the specifications of 400V, 50Hz, 6poles, 200kW, 1400rpm, and 371A for their final year project. Another user points out that the RPM listed may be incorrect, and offers an alternative calculation method. The original user realizes their mistake and asks for help with calculating the torque using the given power and RPM.
fawaaz
Hi everyone,

Im currently doing my final year project and I need to calculate the torque of a DC motor so that I can replace it accordingly by another motor. Here are the motor's specification : 400V, 50Hz, 6poles, 200kW, 1400rpm, 371A
Can anyone please help me sort this out.

regards,
Fawaaz

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think the RPM (or number of poles) listed is incorrectk assuming specs above are for an induction motor.
A 6 pole motor at 50 Hz should give about 1000 rpm synchronous. With 1% slip, you should expect about 990 rpm.
50 Hz with 4 poles gives 1500 rpm synchronous. The motor would have to slip over 6% to make 1400 rpm.

Last edited:
oooh god... i made a mistake... itz 1000rpm... :(

now u can calculate the torque??

You know the power (200kw) and you know the rpm (1400). Open any first year physics book and look up the relationship between hp-rpm-torque.

Hello Fawaaz,

Calculating the torque of a DC motor is an important step in understanding its performance and determining if it is suitable for your project. To calculate the torque, you will need to use the formula:

Torque = (Power x 60) / (2 x pi x Speed)

In this case, the power is given as 200kW and the speed is 1400rpm. Converting 1400rpm to radians per second (rad/s) by multiplying by 2 x pi / 60, we get a speed of 146.67 rad/s.

Plugging these values into the formula, we get:

Torque = (200,000 x 60) / (2 x 3.14 x 146.67)
= 1228.6 Nm

This means that the DC motor is capable of producing a torque of 1228.6 Nm. You can use this value to compare it with the torque requirements of your project and determine if it is suitable.

Additionally, you may also need to consider the torque constant (Kt) of the motor, which is a measure of the motor's ability to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. It is usually provided by the manufacturer and can be used to calculate the torque produced by the motor at a specific current.

I hope this helps you in your project. Good luck!

FAQ: Calculation of torque of a DC motor

1. What is torque in a DC motor?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. In a DC motor, torque refers to the force that causes the rotation of the motor's shaft.

2. How is torque calculated in a DC motor?

The torque of a DC motor is calculated by multiplying the force acting on the motor's armature by the distance from the center of the armature to where the force is applied. This can be expressed as T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the radius of the armature.

3. What factors affect the torque of a DC motor?

The torque of a DC motor is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field in the motor, the number of turns in the armature coil, the size of the armature, and the amount of current flowing through the motor.

4. How does the torque of a DC motor affect its speed?

In a DC motor, the torque and speed have an inverse relationship. This means that as torque increases, speed decreases and vice versa. This is due to the conservation of energy principle, where the power input to the motor remains constant.

5. Can the torque of a DC motor be increased?

Yes, the torque of a DC motor can be increased by increasing the strength of the magnetic field, adding more turns to the armature coil, or increasing the size of the armature. However, this may also affect the speed and efficiency of the motor.