Deriving Energy and Wave Functions from 3D Schrödinger

In summary, the conversation discusses a quantum harmonic oscillator with quantum numbers nx, ny, and nz ≥ 0 and frequency ω0. The problem includes three parts, and the order in which they should be solved is debated. The energy level Enx,ny,nz of the oscillator is to be determined in 3D, along with the normalized wave function for the ground state ψ0(x,y,z) and the Schrödinger equation for the generic 3D wave function ψnx,ny,nz(x,y,z). The person is unsure about the correct method and how to incorporate the energy levels into the wave function.
erok81

Homework Statement

I have a quantum harmonic oscillator with quantum numbers nx,ny,nz ≥ 0 and frequency ω0. There are three parts to the problem. To me it seems they are out of order, but I'm kind of shaky deriving these.

a) Write down the energy level Enx,ny,nz of a QHO in 3d with quantum numbers nx,ny,nz ≥ 0 and frequency ω0?

b) Write down the normalized wave function for the ground state ψ0(x,y,z)?

c) What is the Schrödinger equation for the generic 3d wave function ψnx,ny,nz(x,y,z)?

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

To me I think one would solve this c, b, a. I can state a and b first by copying out of the book, but I'd rather derive them since that's the correct method. The only thing I cannot figure out what my wave function is to involve the energy levels.

My guess for the wave equation is...

[tex]\psi (x,y,z) = Ae^{\frac{1}{2}(x^2 +y^2 +z^2)}[/tex]

But I am missing my energy levels n. So I know that is wrong.

My 3d Schrödinger equation equation in this case is...

Well first the potential is given by...

[tex]U(\vec{r}) = \frac{1}{2}m \omega^{2}\vec{r}^2~=~\frac{1}{2}m \omega^{2}(x^2+y^2+z^2)[/tex]

Back to my Schrödinger...

[tex] \frac{- \hbar ^2}{2m} \nabla ^2 \psi (\vec{r}) +U(\vec{r}) \psi (\vec{r}) = E \psi (\vec{r}) [/tex]

So. Where I am confused is guessing my wave equation and then solving for the energy.

I thought I would have to do the order like I posted above, but the question is worded differently. Maybe I am more confused then I thought. :)

The steps I would do is write out my Schrödinger, use separation of variables, solve for my wave equation, then find the energy. But I'm not fully sure since I won't have my n values.

Hopefully this makes sense. I've been up for a while and am having some trouble explaining what I've done so far. :rofl:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So my wave equation isn't correct.

I believe it should be

[tex]
\psi (x,y,z) = Ae^{\frac{\alpha}{2}(x^2 +y^2 +z^2)}
[/tex]

Where α = mω/ℏ

However the problem states to write down the normalized wave function for the ground state! I don't have any n terms in my wave equation and therefore have no way to relate it to the ground state.

If this were a box, I'd have sin terms and n terms, and I'd be set. However I see no way to incorporate n into this type of wave function.

Any ideas?

On a side note: should I have put this in advanced physics?

1. What is the Schrödinger equation and what does it describe?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a quantum system over time. It is used to determine the energy levels and wave functions of a particle in a given potential energy field.

2. How is energy derived from the 3D Schrödinger equation?

The 3D Schrödinger equation is solved for the wave function of a particle in three-dimensional space. The energy of the particle is then derived by using the eigenvalue of the wave function, which represents the energy level of the particle.

3. What is the significance of wave functions in the Schrödinger equation?

Wave functions in the Schrödinger equation represent the probability amplitudes of a particle in a given position and time. They describe the behavior of a particle as a wave, rather than a classical particle, and are used to determine the energy levels and behavior of a quantum system.

4. How is the 3D Schrödinger equation solved?

The 3D Schrödinger equation is a partial differential equation that can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, perturbation theory, and numerical methods. Each method has its own advantages and is used depending on the complexity of the problem.

5. Can the Schrödinger equation be applied to all systems?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and can be applied to any system, as long as it is in a quantum state and can be described by a wave function. It has been successfully applied to a wide range of physical systems, from atoms and molecules to solid-state materials and subatomic particles.