Progressive wave, wavelength moving in the opposite direction

In summary: You are saying that for a wave moving in the +z direction the wavelength is 9cm, but for a wave moving in the -z direction the wavelength is 18cm. Why is this different?
Redwaves
Homework Statement
Finding the wavelength. if the wave is moving in the +z direction and -z direction.
Relevant Equations
##\Psi(z=15cm,t) = \hat{x} 6 cos (\frac{\pi}{3}t)##
##\Psi(z=12cm,t + 2s) = \Psi(z=18cm,t)##
I'm trying to find the wavelength. However, I don't understand why the wavelength is different if the wave is moving in the +z direction.

I have

For a wave moving on the -z direction

I know that the wavelength = ##\frac{2\pi}{\kappa}## and the shape of the wave is describe by this function ##x(z,t) = A cos(\omega t +\kappa z + \alpha_0)##

##\kappa = \frac{\omega}{v}, \omega = \frac{\pi}{3}## and ##v = 12-18/(t+2)-t = -3##

thus, the wavelength = ##\frac{2\pi}{\pi/9} = 18 ##, which is the right answer.

However, for a wave moving in the +z direction the wavelength is 9cm. Why is this different ?The velocity isn't the same? how can I find it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Redwaves said:
Homework Statement:: Finding the wavelength. if the wave is moving in the +z direction and -z direction.
Relevant Equations:: ##\Psi(z=15cm,t) = \hat{x} 6 cos (\frac{\pi}{3}t)##

I'm trying to find the wavelength. However, I don't understand why the wavelength is different if the wave is moving in the +z direction.

I have

For a wave moving on the -z direction

I know that the wavelength = ##\frac{2\pi}{\kappa}## and the shape of the wave is describe by this function ##x(z,t) = A cos(\omega t +\kappa z + \alpha_0)##

##\kappa = \frac{\omega}{v}, \omega = \frac{\pi}{3}## and ##v = 12-18/(t+2)-t = -3##

thus, the wavelength = ##\frac{2\pi}{\pi/9} = 18 ##, which is the right answer.

However, for a wave moving in the +z direction the wavelength is 9cm. Why is this different ?The velocity isn't the same? how can I find it.
In general, we are given: $$\Psi(z_1, t+ t_1) = \Psi(z_2, t)$$Which implies that$$wt_1 = k(z_2 - z_1) \pm 2\pi n$$This gives us an infinite number of solutions, depending on the direction of motion and how many wavelengths there are between the points ##z_1## and ##z_2##.

If we take ##n = 0##, then we have $$\lambda = \frac{2\pi}{k} = 2\pi\frac{z_2 - z_1}{wt_1}$$And, in this case we have $$\lambda = 18cm$$. But, as above, there are infinitely many other solutions - one for ecah value of ##n##.

Likes Redwaves
How we know which value for n we choose? In my example., how can I know that for a wave moving in the +z direction n is -1?

Redwaves said:
How we know which value for n we choose? In my example., how can I know that for a wave moving in the +z direction n is -1?
You don't know. Unless you have additional information, then there are multiple solutions.

In my case it should have a way to find wavelength since, that what I have to find.

Edit: from the information above, I have to find the wavelength.
Tell me if I'm not clear.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK

What is a progressive wave?

A progressive wave is a type of wave that propagates through a medium, carrying energy from one point to another. It is characterized by a disturbance that moves in a consistent direction, without any change in the medium itself.

What is a wavelength?

Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points on a wave that are in phase, or have the same position and motion. It is usually measured from peak to peak or trough to trough.

How does a progressive wave move in the opposite direction?

In a progressive wave, the disturbance moves in the same direction as the wave propagation. However, in certain cases, the medium may also be moving in the opposite direction. This results in a progressive wave with a wavelength that appears to be moving in the opposite direction.

What are some examples of progressive waves?

Some common examples of progressive waves include sound waves, water waves, and seismic waves. These waves all travel through a medium, carrying energy from one point to another.

What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in a progressive wave?

In a progressive wave, the wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation λ = v/f, where λ is the wavelength, v is the wave velocity, and f is the frequency.