Transition to higher mathematics course, proof

In summary, to prove that n is a multiple of 6 if n = m^3 - m for some integer m, we can use direct proof, contradiction, or counterexample as our methods of proof. One way to approach this problem is to factor m^3 - m and notice that each factor is an integer. By using the fact that the product of three consecutive integers is always a multiple of 2 and 3, we can show that n must be a multiple of 6.
duke_nemmerle

Homework Statement

Show that if [tex] n = m^3 - m [/tex] for some integer [tex]m[/tex], then [tex]n[/tex] is a multiple of 6.

Homework Equations

The relevant information is we don't know modular arithmetic yet, and the only methods of proof we have available are direct proof, contradiction, and counterexample.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of trying to prove it by contradiction, by finding something strange happening in all of the cases where n isn't a multiple of six i.e. for n = 6k + 1 for some integer k on up through n = 6k +5 for some integer k.

For example, in the case where n was one greater than a multiple of 6 we'll have
[tex] m^3 - m - 6k - 1 = 0 [/tex]

I was really hoping to be able to find that the roots of the cubic violated our hypothesis that m be an integer, but I'm having a hard time doing this and I don't want to go nuts on it if it won't be right.

I don't want an outright solution, but a hint would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at [tex] m^3 - m [/tex] and factor it. What do you notice about each of the factors?

Hitman2-2 said:
Look at [tex] m^3 - m [/tex] and factor it. What do you notice about each of the factors?

Ahh, I bet that will do it for me. I had never gotten it completely factored until now, and even if I had I may not have noticed it. I'm going to walk down the hall real quick and I'm sure I'll figure out how the product of three consecutive integers should be a multiple of both 2 and 3, ie of 6 in the same way that the product of two consecutive integers must be even (a multiple of two).

Thanks

What is a "Transition to higher mathematics course"?

A "Transition to higher mathematics course" is a course designed to prepare students for more advanced mathematics courses by introducing them to proof-based mathematics. This course focuses on developing critical thinking, problem-solving, and proof-writing skills that are essential for success in higher-level math courses.

Why is learning how to write proofs important?

Learning how to write proofs is important because it is a fundamental skill in mathematics. Proofs are the backbone of mathematics, as they provide the logical reasoning and evidence to support mathematical arguments and theorems. Mastering proof-writing also helps students develop their critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.

What topics are typically covered in a "Transition to higher mathematics course"?

Topics covered in a "Transition to higher mathematics course" often include logic, set theory, functions, and basic proof techniques such as direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by induction. These topics provide a foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts and techniques.

How can I prepare for a "Transition to higher mathematics course"?

To prepare for a "Transition to higher mathematics course," it is helpful to have a strong understanding of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. It is also beneficial to familiarize yourself with basic proof techniques and logic. Additionally, practicing critical thinking and problem-solving skills can also help you prepare for this course.

What are some resources for practicing proof-writing?

There are many resources available for practicing proof-writing, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. Your instructor may also provide you with additional resources or assignments to help you improve your proof-writing skills. Additionally, working with peers and discussing proof strategies can also be beneficial for practice and learning.