Low GPA? Mechanical Engineering School Chance w/ 3.2

In summary, the individual is a senior double majoring in physics and computer science at a small college and plans to graduate in 2010. They want to attend engineering school for mechanical engineering, but their GPA is low at 2.9 and the best they can do before graduation is a 3.2. They wonder if it is possible to get into graduate school with such a low GPA and if there are any ways to improve it. They mention being a hard worker but having been lazy during their freshman and sophomore years. They also mention wanting to pursue a Master's in engineering and possibly a PhD in the future. They ask about the GRE and whether they should take the general GRE or the physics GRE for engineering school.
awri
I am a double major (physics, comp sci) at a small relatively unknown college. I am a senior and will graduate in 2010. I want to go to engineering school (mechanical) but my GPA is kind of in the toilet. Right now after this summer its sitting at about 2.9. Thus the best I can do before graduation (34 credit hours left for the year) is a 3.2. Since that is unlikely(I would have to make all A's), I want to know if its possible to get into grad school with a GPA like mine? Second, if its not possible, is there any way to improve this? I am a hard worker, but my freshman and sophomore years I was a bit, how do you say, lazy...

Physics news on Phys.org
awri said:
I am a double major (physics, comp sci) at a small relatively unknown college. I am a senior and will graduate in 2010. I want to go to engineering school (mechanical) but my GPA is kind of in the toilet. Right now after this summer its sitting at about 2.9. Thus the best I can do before graduation (34 credit hours left for the year) is a 3.2. Since that is unlikely(I would have to make all A's), I want to know if its possible to get into grad school with a GPA like mine? Second, if its not possible, is there any way to improve this? I am a hard worker, but my freshman and sophomore years I was a bit, how do you say, lazy...

What is you Math/Comp Sci GPA? Second, I would try to change the whole "I'm probably not going to get all As" attitude. It will be tough, but with a low GPA and small chances of getting into grad school, shouldn't you be thinking more along the lines of "I NEED to get all As my last two semesters, NO exceptions." Do you have any research experience? Do you eventually want to get a PhD? If so, I would bust balls my last two semesters, apply to low-medium ranked schools for your MS, bust serious balls over there, do research etc. and then apply to higher ranked PhD programs. Or you could stay in undergrad a fifth year, do research, and take courses to boost your GPA, but I would instead opt to go to a master's program, assuming you get in.

Likes roam
Very true. I am more determined then I make it seem, and will do everything possible to achieve the best marks possible. Second, No I am not pursuing a PhD, but I do want a MS in engineering. Perhaps if I do really well on the GRE? I have a knack for standarized tests. Do you mean my phys/comp sci GPA? It is about the same sadly.

Small shameless bump and I have another question.

The general GRE is the test I want to take correct? I know I could take the physics GRE but most engineering schools don't care about it. So I need to know is there a nother test I need to take or is the general GRE it?

1. What is considered a low GPA for mechanical engineering school?

A GPA below 3.0 is generally considered low for mechanical engineering school. However, it is important to keep in mind that each school may have different standards and requirements.

2. Will having a low GPA prevent me from getting into a mechanical engineering program?

While a low GPA may make it more difficult to get into a mechanical engineering program, it is not the only factor considered in the admissions process. Your personal statement, letters of recommendation, and other qualifications can also play a significant role.

3. Can a strong performance in math and science courses make up for a low overall GPA?

Yes, a strong performance in relevant courses such as math and science can help offset a low overall GPA. Additionally, if you have taken advanced or honors courses in these subjects, it can also demonstrate your academic abilities and dedication to the field of mechanical engineering.

4. Are there any other factors that can impact my chances of getting into a mechanical engineering program with a low GPA?

Yes, some schools may take into consideration your GRE scores, extracurricular activities, and work experience in addition to your GPA. It is important to research the specific admissions criteria for each school you are interested in to determine your chances.

5. What can I do to improve my chances of getting into a mechanical engineering program with a low GPA?

Aside from continuing to work hard and improve your grades, you can also consider retaking courses or taking additional relevant courses to demonstrate your academic abilities and dedication to the field. Additionally, strong letters of recommendation and a well-written personal statement can also help strengthen your application.