Wave freq vs freq of its oscillating source

In summary: This means that the frequency of the wave remains the same, but the velocity of the wave changes. This is because the frequency is determined by the source of the wave, not the medium it travels through. So even if the medium changes, the frequency of the wave will remain identical to the oscillating frequency of its source. In summary, the frequency of a periodic wave is always identical to the oscillating frequency of its source, regardless of the speed of the medium it travels through. This is because the frequency is determined by the source, not the medium. The medium may affect the velocity of the wave, but not its frequency.
itsthemac
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I just read this in my physics textbook and I'm confused. It said that the frequency of a periodic wave is identical to the oscillating frequency of its source. I don't understand how this can always be true since the velocity of the wave is determined by the medium it's in. It would seem to me that if you had an oscillating source with a frequency f in a medium in which waves traveled very slowly, and then you put that same source with the same frequency f in a medium where waves travel very fast, that the two waves frequencies shouldn't be the same.

I know I'm just thinking about it wrong, but if someone could help me understand how this relationship works, and why the speed of the medium makes no difference, I would be grateful.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I could see why a beginners book would say that, but you have to realize this is not accounting for frictional/heat losses which you would always have in the real world. A non perfect wave transmitting medium (everything) would not act as expected. Imagine laying a floor speaker on its back and filling the speaker cone with water. According to your text you would see perfect concentric circles in the water with every beat of the speaker, but really you would see a chaotic display of all the losses your text has not mentioned. If the first beat of the speaker created even a slight non-perfect wave (it will), the continuing beats will magnify it and chaotic waves will prevail. Keep in mind the chaos is only because we can't possibly calculate all these tiny variations from a non-perfect scenario.

When the medium is changed, the velocity changes not due to a change in frequency, but due to change in the wavelength.

1. How does the frequency of a wave compare to the frequency of its oscillating source?

The frequency of a wave is directly proportional to the frequency of its oscillating source. This means that as the frequency of the source increases, the frequency of the wave also increases.

2. What determines the frequency of a wave?

The frequency of a wave is determined by the frequency of its oscillating source. This can be a vibrating object, such as a string on a musical instrument, or an electrical signal in a radio wave.

3. Can the frequency of a wave change?

Yes, the frequency of a wave can change depending on the frequency of its oscillating source. For example, if the source is vibrating at a higher frequency, the wave will also have a higher frequency.

4. How does the frequency of a wave affect its wavelength?

The frequency of a wave and its wavelength are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

5. What is the relationship between the frequency of a wave and its energy?

The frequency of a wave is directly related to its energy. This means that waves with higher frequencies have higher energy, and waves with lower frequencies have lower energy.