Question about Waves -- "frequency" versus "angular frequency"

In summary, frequency and angular frequency are different things. Frequency is the number of cycles per second, and angular frequency is the number of radians turned per unit time.
sinus
TL;DR Summary
The difference between f and ω as the resonant frequency in oscillation
I've been reading many references that said "frequency" and "angular frequency" are two different things. I'm writing a report about damped oscillations experiments (that's a task from a subject in my college).
Can someone tell me which one is the resonant frequency (natural frequency)? f or ω? In Giancoli's book "Physics Principles with Application 7th Ed (2014)", it said that [f][/0] is the resonant frequency
1667634192751.png

But in other references, said that [ω][/0] is the resonant frequency. This one from Chaudhuri "Waves and Oscillations (2010)"
1667634489272.png

But, f isn't equal to ω right? Their relation is showed by ω=2πf. Well, as you can see the topic of the screenshot one above is "Forced Oscillation" not "Damped Oscillation". Then, I want to ask, so if it is damped oscilations, resonant frequency is [ω][/0] and if it is forced oscillations resonant frequency is [f][/0]? Please correct me if I'm misconception.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just semantics. Just as when people use velocity but means speed and vice versa

Likes vanhees71 and sinus
The frequency is the number of complete revolutions per unit time, and the angular frequency is the number of radians turned per unit time. It's really a matter of choice which one you use to characterise a system. It's similar to 5mph and 8kph - they're both the same speed and it doesn't matter which you use as long as you do it consistently. In the case of frequency I suspect less advanced texts will prefer to use ##f## because it's a slightly simpler concept, and more advanced texts will prefer ##\omega## since it tends to lead to fewer factors of ##2\pi## in the maths. But it makes no real difference which choice a source uses as long as they use it consistently.

For your paper I would advise making a decision over whether you prefer to use ##f## or ##\omega## and translating formulae you find in sources to your convention where necessary. You might want to note that you are doing that, at least the first time you do it, so whoever is marking it knows that you didn't drop/add the ##2\pi## factors by accident.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd, vela, Lord Jestocost and 2 others
In addition to cycles per second, and radians per second, one could also use degrees per second.
But degrees per second is an inconvenient unit in most science and engineering. The only exception I can think of is rate of turn in airplane cockpits where the "standard rate of turn" is 3 degrees per second.

So everything @Ibix said is correct, but there are even more arbitrary units of angle the could be convenient for special purposes.

Likes sinus and vanhees71
Why not gons per second? You can always add unnecessary complications to a simple issue by choosing units that are inappropriate for a given problem. In theoretical physics one uses usually ##\omega=2 \pi f## to save to write even more factors of ##2 \pi## than you have to do anyway. That's also the reason, why in modern textbooks on QT nobody uses ##h## but always ##\hbar## ;-)).

• Informative
Likes sinus

1. What is the difference between frequency and angular frequency in waves?

Frequency refers to the number of complete cycles of a wave that occur per unit time. It is measured in Hertz (Hz). Angular frequency, on the other hand, refers to the rate of change of the phase of a wave with respect to time. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

2. How are frequency and angular frequency related?

Frequency and angular frequency are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the frequency of a wave increases, its angular frequency also increases, and vice versa.

3. Can you convert between frequency and angular frequency?

Yes, it is possible to convert between frequency and angular frequency. The formula for this conversion is ω = 2πf, where ω is the angular frequency in radians per second and f is the frequency in Hertz.

4. What are some real-life examples of frequency and angular frequency?

Frequency can be observed in everyday phenomena such as sound waves, radio waves, and light waves. Angular frequency is commonly used in the study of rotational motion, such as the motion of a pendulum or a spinning top.

5. How do frequency and angular frequency affect the behavior of waves?

The frequency and angular frequency of a wave determine its properties, such as wavelength and amplitude. A higher frequency or angular frequency results in a shorter wavelength and a greater amplitude, while a lower frequency or angular frequency results in a longer wavelength and a smaller amplitude.